Right signal intermittent. No 4way flasher .

The Technical Library sub forum will contain how-to and reference articles for all generations of the FJR1300.
Forum rules
13.B - For tech library threads, same approach as the merchandise threads – all posts will be related to the tech library topic – questions about the topic, posts adding to the topic from a technical perspective, etc. Any posts outside of those will be deleted by forum moderators or admins.
fjrob
Veteran
FJRModel: 03

Right signal intermittent. No 4way flasher .

Post by fjrob »

So my signal lights have given up. My left signal light is intermittent. My right signal light is nonexistent. The four-way flasher is non-existent. I took the switch apart and cleaned it as best I could. I don't think it's the switch any help would be appreciated thank you. checked fuse for flasher .it looked ok. Changed it anyway. Thank God I can still use hand signals.
#1 frost back!!!
ionbeam
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: '15ES in Low-Viz Assfault Gray

Re: Right signal intermittent. No 4way flasher .

Post by ionbeam »

The turn signal flasher relay sends pulsing 12 volts to the center terminal of the R/L switch on a Brown/White wire. When you switch it to the left signal, the switch couples the center pulsing wire to the left signal wire that goes to the bulb, switch to to the right it connects the center pulsing connects to the right signal wire that goes to the bulb. The left signal is a dark red wire that Tees and goes to both the front and rear left signal bulbs. The right signal is a dark green wire that Tees and goes to both the front and rear right signal bulbs.

If the rear signals work correctly the problem is either the front signal bulbs or the connector/wires to the bulbs. Given the recent beating your bike has had a bulb failure is likely, the filaments sag or break.

Troubleshooting the 4 way flasher requires more info. Do the rear signal lights work correctly? If yes, the problem has to be at the 4 way switch, either the switch or the connector. The Brown/White pulsing 12 volt wire Tees from the handlebar turn signal switch and goes to the 4 way flasher switch along with the Teed dark red and dark green wires. The wires to the right side signals F & R and the wires to the left side signals F & R are Teed and go to both the handlebar switch and the 4 way switch. If the rear signals work start at the front turn bulbs on both sides.

If both the front and rear bulbs do not flash correctly then the turn signal relay or the Brown/White wire is bad or has a connector problem. You don't want it to be the turn signal relay, it's in the nose of the bike. The turn signal relay depends on good bulbs to provide ground for it to work correctly. (Gen I & Gen 2; Gen III is ECU controlled and the whole signaling system is different.)
wheatonFJR loved this
fjrob
Veteran

Post by fjrob »

Okay so you made me get up off my comfy chair and walk over to my bike. If I turn the key on and then signal the switch nothing happens if I have the key off and Signal left then turn the key on the signal will work. Absolutely no four ways no matter what. So I don't know what it's doing I'm guessing the relay a way up in the nose

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

#1 frost back!!!
fjrob
Veteran

Post by fjrob »

So after careful scientific research dismantling the complete switch. Cleaning it. Putting Dielectric grease in it. Checking for terminal checking for 12-volt pulsing electricity. It's not the switch . God damn it what is it. The light bulb. The lowly light bulb has led me astray. I over thought the whole thing and did not check the light bulb. Ta da.

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

FJRoss, ionbeam, bungie4 and 1 others loved this
#1 frost back!!!
FJRoss
Veteran
FJRModel: 2011 FJR 1300
2017 BMW F700GS

Post by FJRoss »

I had a bad front bulb and had similar issues. Glad you got it sorted out. On a previous (Yamaha) motorcycle, I had some odd stuff going on with the signals. The bulb(s) were fine but some water had gotten into a socket and caused some corrosion. Restored to normal after cleaning it up.
fjrob loved this
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

Check the other side, Rob... it's likely due after yer big trip. On my Gen2, the connectors to the front signals would get green corrosion and cause the same thang....
wheatonFJR and fjrob loved this
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.