FJR 1300 ABS Test Harness

The Technical Library sub forum will contain how-to and reference articles for all generations of the FJR1300.
Forum rules
13.B - For tech library threads, same approach as the merchandise threads – all posts will be related to the tech library topic – questions about the topic, posts adding to the topic from a technical perspective, etc. Any posts outside of those will be deleted by forum moderators or admins.
Full House
FJRModel: 2010

Re: FJR 1300 ABS Test Harness

Post by Full House »

bill lumberg wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:02 pm I got mine. Thanks Wayne. Still haven’t figured out how to get the pdf, despite adding it to the cart and stuff.
Open the e-mail that says your order is complete. Click on the colored lettering that mentions "download", should be able to print from there.
bill lumberg loved this
extrememarine
HMFIC
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2009 FJR

Post by extrememarine »

Quick update - ABS harnesses are currently out of stock - Ray is building more and I should have them on hand to ship by mid-March (3 weeks from today). The store will let you order, but should notify you that the item is on back order (for production).

I will update here when orders ship.

Wayne
Ride There!
-Wayne aka asphalt surfer...

IBA#60836

#Peteyismyhero & #JWillywashere
Pterodactyl
Veteran
FJRModel: R1250GSA w/ Sidecar

Post by Pterodactyl »

Wow, now I understand why Ray keeps sending me pictures of his 200 foot yacht he keeps docked at Monaco.
Madmudder, wheatonFJR, and Full House loved this
Kevin
The Outpost
Silver City, MT
extrememarine
HMFIC
I post more than I ride

Post by extrememarine »

Update - 3/11/19 - All pending orders have been filled and shipped today!

Inventory will be updated as well, but we have both the ABS test harness and OBD adapter cables in stock.

Wayne
Ride There!

IBA#60836

feejerbob
Squid
FJRModel: 2015

Post by feejerbob »

Are these ready to be shipped or are they on back
order?
extrememarine
HMFIC
I post more than I ride

Re: RE: Re: FJR 1300 ABS Test Harness

Post by extrememarine »

feejerbob wrote:Are these ready to be shipped or are they on back
order?
In stock and shipping.

I hae 2 orders that will go out today, that is all that is pending right now.

Wayne.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Auburn loved this
Ride There!

IBA#60836

raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

Update - Due to Covid border closings to personal travel, I have not been able to get additional inventory to Wayne. Wayne tells me he sold the last one and the site automatically removes the listing to prevent a backorder situation..... which is the current situation.
I have checked into international shipping and will be sending some ABS harnesses to replenish the inventory... postal services are backed up like it's a Christmas rush every day so if you hang in there..... working on it, but may take 2-3 weeks....
bill lumberg and bungie4 loved this
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
0face
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2008

Post by 0face »

I just flushed my brakes. So, if someone needs one of these I can send you mine. Just order a replacement sent to me... I can wait. No biggie.
NTXFJR and wheatonFJR loved this
bramfrank
Squid
FJRModel: 2014 FJR1300ES

Post by bramfrank »

What I don't quite understand is why the cost of the $7 cable goes up by $20 and $5 shipping by $10 for something to be sent to the same country it is made in.

I would have bought one, but beyond the fact that it shows as being out of stock and there's an explanation that it is so because there is no way to get it INTO the US.

So, that raises the question; If I am in Canada, shouldn't I be getting a discount, because it doesn't need to be shipped and traverse US customs to get it to me?

And, just for the record, I, for one would never suggest leaving the cable in place permanently because the connector is a cheap Molex and isn't waterproof.
wheatonFJR and bill lumberg loved this
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by raYzerman »

Frank, first off there's an error in the Canadian pricing, apparently I had the ODB harness price in there..... I edited that today, thanks for bringing it to my attention. All components were purchased in US dollars, and the final item is priced in U$. To convert to C$ I did not use the full exchange rate, and if you've ever shipped anything like this with Canada Post, the cost is usually ~$20 for a flat rate envelope, but I have an account with CP and get a discount... will charge you actual shipping based on postal code... so, C$9 plus shipping, keeping it simple as I can. Send me a PM with your addy and I'll give you a quote.
wheatonFJR, Full House, and Niehart loved this
bramfrank
Squid

Post by bramfrank »

raYzerman wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 9:02 am Send me a PM with your addy and I'll give you a quote.
Thanks for the offer. However I can't send a PM because I am newly registered here and the board won't let me. I can, however receive.

If you PM me your e-mail address (or, for that matter contact me on Facebook) we can keep this information nominally private.

Looking forward to flushing the ABS
bill lumberg loved this
extrememarine
HMFIC
I post more than I ride

Post by extrememarine »

It seems as though at this point updates have been made as well as connections. I'll clean up the off-topic chatter posts later this evening (this is a no B.S. thread).

On topic note - To be clear - this is not a get rich scheme or mass produced item - it was a project taken on by a member here to meet a need for members and owners of the FJR. It is not manufactured off shore, but individually assembled in someone's personal workshop in their own time. I volunteered the use of the e-commerce site I own as a way to simplify some of the (thankless) work and effort that goes into a project like this. The wonderful thing about our world is one can shop for and purchase items for sale where ever they like. It's ok to (politely) ask a question about pricing if one wishes on the odd chance there was a typo or miscalculation; but also know cost and shipping options are often limited based on what works best for those putting the effort into the project.

Thank you,

Wayne
Cav47, Full House, wheatonFJR and 4 others loved this
Ride There!

IBA#60836

NTXFJR
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016 FJR1300A

Post by NTXFJR »

I can appreciate the effort that members like Ray and hmfic Wayne make in stepping up to make positive contributions such as this abs accessory available to this band of forum fits and misfits. If it were $40 I'd still happily buy it because if and when there might be extra funds left over above and beyond the costs to make and ship, I'd consider it a great opportunity to benefit the forum's bottom line. ymmv
Cav47, bigjohnsd, wheatonFJR and 2 others loved this
We travel not to escape life, but for life not to escape us.

IBA # 65427
bramfrank
Squid

Post by bramfrank »

extrememarine wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 1:03 pm It seems as though at this point updates have been made as well as connections. I'll clean up the off-topic chatter posts later this evening (this is a no B.S. thread).

On topic note - To be clear - this is not a get rich scheme or mass produced item - it was a project taken on by a member here to meet a need for members and owners of the FJR. It is not manufactured off shore, but individually assembled in someone's personal workshop in their own time. I volunteered the use of the e-commerce site I own as a way to simplify some of the (thankless) work and effort that goes into a project like this. The wonderful thing about our world is one can shop for and purchase items for sale where ever they like. It's ok to (politely) ask a question about pricing if one wishes on the odd chance there was a typo or miscalculation; but also know cost and shipping options are often limited based on what works best for those putting the effort into the project.

Thank you,

Wayne
My post was a query - and it was polite. 'I didn't understand' why something made in Canada and shipped to the states and sold to Americans in the US would cost four times as much when sold to Canadians and shipped from Canada. I did also comment that because the connector isn't waterproof that I (for one) would not recommend it for permanent installation. That's just the electrical engineer in me commenting.

And I was right. The price was wrong and Ray fixed it.

The only person to go off the rails was (IMHO) properly chastised for his posting - in particular for posting without reading and his truly sarcastic comments - and of interest might be that afterwards he sent a PM offering to lend me his - but again he still hadn't read the goings-on and didn't recognise that Ray had offered to supply one at the proper price, shipped from his place in Ontario to mine in Quebec

As to encouraging small suppliers; You may not be aware but I run the FJR Owners group of FB with about 5300 members as well as the buy sell group. I do lots of encouraging of my own and I don't expect any recognition for the work I do and I offer kudos to those who themselves create products for the machine and community.
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2018ES/2022ES

Post by bill lumberg »

I had read everything and understood it perfectly. And I understood that you were a little ham handed in your dissection of a volunteer fabricator and an fjr community website coming together to fill a need for members. This isn’t a mathematical equation. It’s a collective and these are relationships. I meant what I said before, and I mean what I’m saying now. If you want to play outside your sandbox, and you want to do so for very long, you would do well to be more sensitive to the less tangible aspects of the community you’re visiting.

You may not like or follow my advice, but it’s clear that my initial response got your attention. And for that I am glad. Ride safe.
jwilly, NTXFJR, ionbeam and 1 others loved this
EWTBAGUITTDGS

2022ES
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by raYzerman »

Thanks to all for the compliments and comments... yes, when you buy one you're making a small donation to FJRiders 'cuz Wayne has to put up with my crap and I know the effort he's put into making these available, and burning gas to get to the Post Office. I'm good if my costs are covered, don't even mind paying a little forward. No doubt y'all will somehow look after me if you find me on the side of the road, so I'm not worried at all. It's good value all around, so don't worry, let's all be happy.
The connector is the genuine OEM Sumitomo and is waterproof if you follow the instructions. Leave it on, leave it off, don't matter none to me, all good, you decide. The whole idea of this ABS test is to prevent you from spending a G-note on a new ABS pump if it clogs up, and it does happen. Another one two days ago in another sandbox (pre-'08 most prone).
It also ain't gonna go in a $3 envelope... done all the research for the cheapest way, if the envelope won't pass through a 20mm slot in this plastic template Canada Post has (it won't), so that bumps it up into a "package".... and we pay... they add HST and a fuel surcharge to boot. Meanwhile, I have to suck up some international shipping to get Wayne some more inventory..... and that ball is about to roll. Here's a good one, I can ship cheaper to Britain than to anyone in Canada, even if they live next door to me.
HotRodZilla, Full House, bill lumberg and 6 others loved this
TJ189
Squid
FJRModel: 2016

Post by TJ189 »

I possibly do not have access but the link for ordering does not work for me. I would like to order a test harness.
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

TJ189 wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:30 pm I possibly do not have access but the link for ordering does not work for me. I would like to order a test harness.
You likely need a couple or three more posts before you can use that feature...I'm just guessin...don't know for sure.
raYzerman wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:22 pm I just added the instructions to post 2.... PM me your email addy and I can send it....
Hey RAY! Wake up from your nap and help the feller above.
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
extrememarine
HMFIC
I post more than I ride

Post by extrememarine »

It's not you, the test harnesses are out of stock in the store right now. I'll ping Ray to see if there are plans to get any more put together.
TJ189 wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:30 pm I possibly do not have access but the link for ordering does not work for me. I would like to order a test harness.
Ride There!

IBA#60836

ionbeam
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: '15ES in Low-Viz Assfault Gray

Post by ionbeam »

extrememarine wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:30 pm It's not you, the test harnesses are out of stock
Harnesses aren't necessarily needed, two simple jumper cables will do the same thing. If there is any interest I will link to the post describing how to do this.