Throttle Abruptness

Tech section strictly for the FJR. Everything from oil changes & suspension setup's to removing sheep hair from hard to reach places on the bike so that your wife never finds out.
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2018ES/2022ES

Throttle Abruptness

Post by bill lumberg »

2018 FJR. From off throttle to on throttle, there is an abrupt jerk, like rolling on goes from 0%-5%. Tour or Sport mapping. Not really noticeable underway, but in a parking garage or doing tight figure 8’s, it’s almost impossible to finesse past it without getting yanked. Works both ways, rolling on and rolling off. What would you check or adjust?
EWTBAGUITTDGS

2022ES
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Re: Throttle Adjustment

Post by raYzerman »

Not sure, Bill. Is it any different than the '14 you had? The throttle by wire system automatically raises rpm when you slightly release the clutch (ECU controlled when it senses clutch switch), this to prevent stalling on take-off. Should be 100 rpm or so. Perhaps try adjusting clutch lever to one setting either way to see if you can better control it. Check to see how much rpm increases when the clutch switch engages (can be more accurately read with OBD or dealer computer). The other thing I'd do is flush/bleed the clutch.
The FI system has two sensors, accerator position switch and TPS. Both of these give inputs to the ECU on throttle position. Perhaps a tweak adjustment may be needed. On Gen3 prior to '16 we have a diagnostics screen to read the values. '16 and on got OBD, however, to date all I have seen is a throttle position percentage reading on the OBD, and I presume that is reading the TPS. I'd think the only true readings will be available from the dealer's computer with the Yamaha proprietary software. Convince the dealer it's a warranty issue and have them look at it (to determine if APS or TBS needs adjustment).
wheatonFJR loved this
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran

Re: Throttle Abruptness

Post by bill lumberg »

Yeah, totally different from the 14. Almost a knock when the grip gets far enough. Nothing major, just something minor out of adjustment.
EWTBAGUITTDGS

2022ES
extrememarine
HMFIC
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2009 FJR

Post by extrememarine »

On a Gen 2, a Powercommander and map resolved that off/on throttle 'jerk' or 'abruptness' you describe. I have no idea if that's an option for the '18.

But you mention this is at slow speed; I'd suggest using (slipping) the clutch a hair to get through that off/on/off transition zone at low speeds. Add some rpms, drag a little rear brake, slip the clutch and you can spin that bike around in circles inside a parking space. These are thing 'go-to's' from my MSF days; I used my '04 and my Harley for running demo's - the Harley would let me crawl around the range at idle just working the clutch. The FJR required an entirely different technique to run the cone and u-turn demo's.
bill lumberg loved this
Ride There!
-Wayne aka asphalt surfer...

IBA#60836

#Peteyismyhero & #JWillywashere
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

I'm sure Bill L. can maneuver his 18.

However, since it is brand spanking new, he'd probably rather it operate as smooth as his 4 yo bike...which is why he started the thread.
bill lumberg loved this
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
Uncle Hud
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015 ES, with new fairings!

Post by Uncle Hud »

bill lumberg wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:20 am 2018 FJR. From off throttle to on throttle, there is an abrupt jerk, like rolling on goes from 0%-5%. .... What would you check or adjust?
Personally, I would not drink before riding.
bill lumberg loved this
*** You can't get into trouble in second gear. ***
IBA 62517
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran

Post by bill lumberg »

Wheat probably has a point. I am a long time friend of the friction zone and I can slow crawl and perpetrate cones all day long. This is a throttle transition issue rather than a staying upright one. Next time I get a chance, I want to get one of you guys to take it on a spin around the parking lot to see what I’m talking about. Not a Maggie Valley moonshine spin around the parking lot, more like a Walmart/Diet coke spin around the parking lot. Im not entirely sure something didn’t get tweaked during helibridge install. Not so much cable play, but maybe throttle reassembly.

And thanks for the tip, Hud.
Uncle Hud and jwilly loved this
EWTBAGUITTDGS

2022ES
extrememarine
HMFIC
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2009 FJR

Post by extrememarine »

Bill - This detail:
Im not entirely sure something didn’t get tweaked during helibridge install.
Did this develop after installing the Helibridge, or was it there before? Maybe not noticed before. You've ruled out the easy fixes (rider input adjustments), so comparing to another '18 would be a good way of vetting if it's your bike or 'normal'.

Sometimes, it's hard to really nail down something we "feel" on the bike - someone else may not notice or be bothered by it.

bill lumberg wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:36 am Wheat probably has a point. I am a long time friend of the friction zone and I can slow crawl and perpetrate cones all day long. This is a throttle transition issue rather than a staying upright one. Next time I get a chance, I want to get one of you guys to take it on a spin around the parking lot to see what I’m talking about. Not a Maggie Valley moonshine spin around the parking lot, more like a Walmart/Diet coke spin around the parking lot. Im not entirely sure something didn’t get tweaked during helibridge install. Not so much cable play, but maybe throttle reassembly.

And thanks for the tip, Hud.
bill lumberg loved this
Ride There!
-Wayne aka asphalt surfer...

IBA#60836

#Peteyismyhero & #JWillywashere