Fly and Ride 17 FJR

Public Ride & Trip report sub-forum.

Ride reports (RR) posted here are view-able to non-member readers, no log in will be required to visit this sub-forum - use this sub-forum if you want friends, family, co-workers who are not members of the site to be able to read and follow along.
escapefjrtist
Veteran
FJRModel: '15 FJR 1300A

Re: Fly and Ride 17 FJR

Post by escapefjrtist »

Glad you're home safe and sound Fontanaman!

~G
wheatonFJR loved this
IBA34365
'15 FJR-USD-A
'18 Tenere
Niehart
FJRModel: 2015

Post by Niehart »

+1
wheatonFJR loved this
bigjohnsd
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021 BMW R1250GSA "Gray Ghost II"

Post by bigjohnsd »

Now I've got a reason to head West to Portland again, despite my son living out there for 5 years and many visits on the bikes and in the Mini we never found that there Rowena Curve/Crest.

Nice report Jim. Glad you made it home safely.
Redfish loved this
"The only Dumb Question is the unasked Question " - Anonymous
Eat every Sandwich like it is your last!
fontanaman
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2017 FJR, 2017 DR650

Post by fontanaman »

bigjohnsd wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:17 am Now I've got a reason to head West to Portland again, despite my son living out there for 5 years and many visits on the bikes and in the Mini we never found that there Rowena Curve/Crest.

Nice report Jim. Glad you made it home safely.
Thanks John. I learned about the Historic US 30 route by attending Rally in the Gorge many years ago. It are two sections of the Historic Road open to automobiles. In this report I skipped the Vista House at Crown Point.

Here is a
link
to plan your visit.
fontanaman
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2017 FJR, 2017 DR650

Post by fontanaman »

Daily Ditty

March 22, 2020

The Epilogue

In total I road about 4650 miles. From Lafayette to Spokane, a 9 day ride, I road 3400 miles for an average of about 375 per day.

The tires on the bike when I bought it made it home. The were are a set of Pirelli Angel GTs and I believe there were new are nearly new.

At 16,850 miles the front tire measures 5/32" in of tread while the rear had 8/23" in. Now at 21,500 miles the front tire measure 3/3/2" in of tread while the rear had 5/23" in. The measurements were taken adjacent to the wear bars at the near the top of the tire.

The front tire is a starting to square off just a bit while the rear is has a nice radius. I won't make any other comparisons because my 09 is GP front suspension and a Penske at the rear while the 17 has ES suspenders so it is hard to tell how the tires performs with much different suspension systems. In addition most of the miles I traveled were on the flat roads.

Front tire.

Rear tire.

When I left on this trip, our home, recently flooded due to a plumber's error installing a water conditioner, was waiting for repair. My wife needed foot surgery to remove a bony growth on her toe and needs a dental implant.

When I returned home nothing had changed except my wife has a mild case of bronchitis. No work was done on the house. The work starts tomorrow. Due to COVID-19 Linda's medical and dental work is postponed until things return to normal. [Rant] And I don't want to hear the cliché "This is the new normal." In my lifetime there is nothing normal about the coronavirus spreading around the world and it will eventually run its course. [/EndRant]

I had enough going on at the beginning of this trip to tilt the stress meter. Then while on the trip the coronavirus epidemic explodes nationwide and the unplanned events impact the trip. As a result I started to suffer from anxiety. My blood pressure was up during the trip and to be safe I went to a hospital where I was diagnosed with higher than normal blood pressure and an EKG test was normal a big Silver Lining! Yesterday my wife Linda, a former Nurse Practitioner, checked my BP with an old school tool and found it 134/80. I am still not settled but I am trying to avoid stressors such as the news. I have started to re-appropriate farkles from the 09 to the 17 and this has a calming effect. Silver lining is my situation is much better than many others in the country and I have a bit of anxiety medication at home.

Hopefully you can find silver linings in your life today. Thanks for following along.

The End.
Redfish, wheatonFJR, escapefjrtist and 3 others loved this
escapefjrtist
Veteran
FJRModel: '15 FJR 1300A

Post by escapefjrtist »

Those tires are good enough for a three or four day "box" ride Fontanaman! Once the current travel situation clears up might have to look into that.

~G
wheatonFJR loved this
IBA34365
'15 FJR-USD-A
'18 Tenere
Blueridgerider
FJRModel: 2016 FJR1300A

Post by Blueridgerider »

raYzerman wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:34 am
Blueridgerider wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:40 pm
escapefjrtist wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:52 pm Highway pegs removed immediately and I have it on good authority the lowered pegs lasted all of one ride. ;)

Looking good Fontanaman!

~G
Yeah those pegs make me nervous just looking at them. One thing I love about the FJR is that I can lean it over endlessly without scraping anything. One thing I hated about the Goldwing I sold was that it always scrapped pegs. In my opinion they are dangerous to have so low like that.
The fix for that was putting real springs in the forks, 70 series tire on the back (Valkyrie size) and not having the shock preload set too low.... no scrapie. Turned it into the 900 lb. sport tourer. Sold mine, just too heavy but OK nonetheless!

Great pics, Jim. I think the PCH is best down that way..... keep it coming!
My Wing was fully Traxxionized ie Mega Monty. There was nothing you could buy or do to a Wing other than remove the pegs to keep it from scraping.
If you did not scrape a Goldwing's pegs you were not riding it very aggressively in the twisties.
fontanaman loved this
2016 FJR1300A Traxxionized
2017 Kawasaki Z900
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

The Progressive rear shock was ride height adjustable and had a better spring, the Traxxion front cartridges changed damping, but the Hondapotamus needed real springs to increase the ride height. Series 70 tire and very rarely scraped pegs in the twisties...... basically, you had to increase it's ride height and you were good to go. Vast majority didn't do that, happy to have their Barcalounger.
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.