What did you do to your FJR today?

Talk about issues and questions specific to the FJR here.
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2018ES/2022ES

Re: What did you do to your FJR today?

Post by bill lumberg »

I like that jug. You got a model number? Do you have it plumbed or do you just drink at stops?
danh600 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:34 am I purchased the water jug holder from Garuld awhile back. The bracket is very nice, but the igloo jug is not that great for hot Florida riding. The ice seemed to melt too quick. Well, the problem took care of it's self. I didn't screw the lid back on good and it flew off. So the jug needed to be replaced.
This time I went with a half gallon Rtic jug. Looks better and should hold ice better. The bracket base is a little big for it, but the clamp holds the jub tight.

Now it looks like it was always part of the bike.

Took the bike for a couple of rides this weekend. Just short morning back roads rides.

EWTBAGUITTDGS

2022ES
Toter
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015 FJR 1300 ES "Renee", 2014 BMW R1200 GS "Sascha", 2021 BMW R1250GS Rallye, 2016 DRZ 400S (Bush Piglet)

Post by Toter »

Replaced the exhaust pipe on the left side. It was dented from a parking lot drop by the previous owner. Got a set off another forum from a 2016. Pretty easy swap out. Also, touched up the scratches on the left side mirror, from that drop, with a colorrite pen. Once cured well, I will polish with an air polisher and compound. Getting ready for the Frosty Balls Ride.
bill lumberg and El Toro Joe loved this
I spent most of my money on guns, motorcycles, women, and whiskey. The rest I just wasted!
BkerChuck
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 FJR1300A

Post by BkerChuck »

Same thing I did to it yesterday, rode it to work. Mild temps so far this month but I know it won't last. Going to enjoy it while I can.
El Toro Joe loved this
ImageImageImage

IBA #50866
danh600
Veteran
FJRModel: 2022 FJR1300ES

Post by danh600 »

bill lumberg wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:47 pm I like that jug. You got a model number? Do you have it plumbed or do you just drink at stops?
danh600 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:34 am I purchased the water jug holder from Garuld awhile back. The bracket is very nice, but the igloo jug is not that great for hot Florida riding. The ice seemed to melt too quick. Well, the problem took care of it's self. I didn't screw the lid back on good and it flew off. So the jug needed to be replaced.
This time I went with a half gallon Rtic jug. Looks better and should hold ice better. The bracket base is a little big for it, but the clamp holds the jub tight.

Took the bike for a couple of rides this weekend. Just short morning back roads rides.

It's this one.
https://www.rticcoolers.com/shop/drinkw ... -Stainless
1/2 Gallon Rtic Jug. I picked the stainless steel, but they have other colors.
It hasn't been Florida summer tested but I think it's going to work very well. I have not plumbed mine yet. Looks like it would be easy to do because the top is plastic not stainless. I don't ride that hard and tend to stop from time to time. I might not plumb it. If I start planning a long hot trip I might change my mind.

The dimensions are a little small for the bracket on the half gallon, but a little big on the one gallon. The half does work cause you can tighten up the clamp. Mine rides fine and doesn't rattle.

The Ozark Trail jugs sold at Walmart are very good too. I have a small one and it holds ice water for days. They make a 1/2 and one gallon one also. I can't seem to find the dimensions online.

I would rather have a one gallon, but 1/2 works.
bill lumberg loved this
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran

Post by bill lumberg »

Swapped the V47 for the V56. Between cold weather gear and range gear, need all the space I can get this time of year. Shook my heated and insulated stuff. Winter is arriving here in a few days.
EWTBAGUITTDGS

2022ES
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran

Post by bill lumberg »

They come in matte blue. Nice find Dan.
danh600 wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:23 am
bill lumberg wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:47 pm I like that jug. You got a model number? Do you have it plumbed or do you just drink at stops?

It's this one.
https://www.rticcoolers.com/shop/drinkw ... -Stainless
1/2 Gallon Rtic Jug. I picked the stainless steel, but they have other colors.
It hasn't been Florida summer tested but I think it's going to work very well. I have not plumbed mine yet. Looks like it would be easy to do because the top is plastic not stainless. I don't ride that hard and tend to stop from time to time. I might not plumb it. If I start planning a long hot trip I might change my mind.

The dimensions are a little small for the bracket on the half gallon, but a little big on the one gallon. The half does work cause you can tighten up the clamp. Mine rides fine and doesn't rattle.

The Ozark Trail jugs sold at Walmart are very good too. I have a small one and it holds ice water for days. They make a 1/2 and one gallon one also. I can't seem to find the dimensions online.

I would rather have a one gallon, but 1/2 works.
EWTBAGUITTDGS

2022ES
El Toro Joe
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016ES

Post by El Toro Joe »

Put it back in hibernation...the weather is gonna urn back to shit, for the next week or so
"RIP Beemerdons", "RIP Petey", "RIP JWilly", "RIP 1911"
Hack
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016 ES

Post by Hack »

Inspected and re packed the steering head bearings...
wheatonFJR loved this
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

Hack wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:56 pm Inspected and re packed the steering head bearings...
Make sure you test them to FJR nominal speeds. You don't want to have an issue on a long trip.
<snerk>
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
Hack
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016 ES

Post by Hack »

wheatonFJR wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:33 pm
Hack wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:56 pm Inspected and re packed the steering head bearings...
Make sure you test them to FJR nominal speeds. You don't want to have an issue on a long trip.
<snerk>

CollingsBob, escapefjrtist, and wheatonFJR loved this
ionbeam
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: '15ES in Low-Viz Assfault Gray

Post by ionbeam »

Hack wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:52 pm
wheatonFJR wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:33 pm
<snerk>
Photoshop. Everyone KNOWS shaft drive motorcycles can't wheelie. ;) And, wheelies set down hard have no effect on steering bearings.
Uncle Hud, ice_station_zebra, Toter and 2 others loved this
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran

Post by bill lumberg »

Changed the front brake pads. First time I’ve ever changed the pads myself on either of the FJR’s I’ve owned.
Dshane, Hppants, philharmonic and 1 others loved this
EWTBAGUITTDGS

2022ES
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

I'm a 90% front braker. I changed the front pads on my Gen 1 and my current Gen 3 at 50K. Interesting how one pad at each pair of pistons wears a lot more than the other.

I'm at 62K now and the rears are still only 1/2 worn.
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

FJRoss
Veteran
FJRModel: 2011 FJR 1300
2017 BMW F700GS

Post by FJRoss »

Hppants wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:52 am I'm a 90% front braker. I changed the front pads on my Gen 1 and my current Gen 3 at 50K. Interesting how one pad at each pair of pistons wears a lot more than the other.

I swap inner/outer at about mid life on the gen II front pads. On the right, the pair linked to the rear brake wears more slowly than the pair activated by the rear brake (linked braking). If you are getting a very large difference between inside/outside (or top/bottom pairs on the left side) you might want to have a look at your pistons/seals and/or the slider pins.
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Post by gixxerjasen »

I think it's been since before Christmas since I had the FJR out. I had to go meet a friend this morning to get some stuff from him way over in Arlington. All slab on I-20 but I was out riding, the rain has passed, it was 60F and sunny, and I was on two wheels. Old reliable fired right up ready to go.
BkerChuck and Hppants loved this
My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
Son's Bike:2019 Honda CRF250L

I'm here to serve as an example of what NOT to do.
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

Leaving in 30mins to go eat some breakfast and ride around in circles in NGA
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
Dshane
Squid
FJRModel: 2018 FJR 1300A

Post by Dshane »

Added some Garuald brackets and pegs. Haven't used them yet, just got 5 inches of that white stuff last night.
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

FJRoss wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:21 am
Hppants wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:52 am I'm a 90% front braker. I changed the front pads on my Gen 1 and my current Gen 3 at 50K. Interesting how one pad at each pair of pistons wears a lot more than the other.

I swap inner/outer at about mid life on the gen II front pads. On the right, the pair linked to the rear brake wears more slowly than the pair activated by the rear brake (linked braking). If you are getting a very large difference between inside/outside (or top/bottom pairs on the left side) you might want to have a look at your pistons/seals and/or the slider pins.
Yeah - I've cleaned and dry-lubed the pins. Use a toothbrush to remove as much crud from the exposed pistons before pushing them back in on tire changes. I thought about swapping the pads mid-way, that is a good money saving idea. I did keep the old pads, so now I really have a spare set that I could use in the future. I didn't change the linked pads on the front - they were like almost new at 50K. Again, almost all of my braking is with the front wheel. I really only use the rear if I'm braking real hard and want to keep the bike straight. I've seen "trail braking" with the racers, but I don't think I'm quite up to that particular skill set...
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

BkerChuck
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 FJR1300A

Post by BkerChuck »

Snow and crap we got on Saturday was all cleared from the roads by Sunday afternoon so I managed to ride to work this morning. 26 degrees out and fairly windy but heated gear saves the day. I think I'm likely warmer riding to work with the jacket liner and heated gloves than if I drove my truck that sits outside all night. Coworkers just think I'm nuts.
Spininprop and El Toro Joe loved this
ImageImageImage

IBA #50866
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran

Post by bill lumberg »

Rode it to work. It was so cold on the way home, when I went in the grocery store to get an ingredient I needed to make chili when I got home, I flipped the chin bar up, but kept my Neotec 2 on.
EWTBAGUITTDGS

2022ES