Wisconsin and the U.P., eh...

Public Ride & Trip report sub-forum.

Ride reports (RR) posted here are view-able to non-member readers, no log in will be required to visit this sub-forum - use this sub-forum if you want friends, family, co-workers who are not members of the site to be able to read and follow along.
extrememarine
HMFIC
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2009 FJR

Re: Wisconsin and the U.P., eh...

Post by extrememarine »

You can see a very small portion of the Pictured Rocks lakeshore from the overlook(s); I'm glad we did the boat tour - there's much of the shoreline you can only see from the water.
danh600 wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:33 pm Always want to see Pictured Rock. Also dreamed of hiking Isle Royale SP.
It took me entirely too long to see this part of my own state. This trip was great, and the dual sport camp & ride trip (RR here)I did with CJ and MrBill was fantastic as well - two very different views of the same area.
Hppants wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:58 pm I'm getting some terrific ideas for my (yet to be scheduled) trip to the UP. I know NOTHING about that whole region. The excitement of that is neat.
Burnspot, wheatonFJR, PhilJet09 and 1 others loved this
Ride There!
-Wayne aka asphalt surfer...

IBA#60836

#Peteyismyhero & #JWillywashere
Mr Bill
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2003 FJR
2010 690R
2016 XT12

Post by Mr Bill »

BikerGeek wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:21 pm Wait... So you coulda had the Burrito of Death and instead went with ... damn hippie food? REALLY?!?

Now STAY OFF MY LAWN and get a damned haircut.

Hippies.
Yuppies
The marine is turning into a UPPIE!
It happens to people in his hood!
:)
PhilJet09 loved this
BikerGeek
Veteran
FJRModel: 2004

Post by BikerGeek »

Mr Bill wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:28 pm
BikerGeek wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:21 pm Wait... So you coulda had the Burrito of Death and instead went with ... damn hippie food? REALLY?!?

Now STAY OFF MY LAWN and get a damned haircut.

Hippies.
Yuppies
The marine is turning into a UPPIE!
It happens to people in his hood!
:)
Do ya mean ah yooper? Yah - he could be turnin' into ah yooper. Aldough, most self-respectin' yoopers I know wouldn't be eatin' no hippie food.
wheatonFJR, PhilJet09, and Mr Bill loved this
"Having THIS bunch of guys paying attention to you is like being the world's tallest midget."
- 0face
extrememarine
HMFIC
I post more than I ride

Post by extrememarine »

Day 8 - Saturday - July 24th, 2021
St Ignace to Home.

We went to bed Friday evening knowing inclement weather was emanate for Saturday. The unknown was timing - would it allow us to get across the mighty mac - Mackinaw Bridge - dry and in calm conditions, or would the heavy rain and wind arrive before daylight forcing us to delay our departure.

Around 4am, heavy rain had moved in and a quick look at the radar image did not bring much hope for a dry run south. I was back awake just before 7am and the rain had stopped. Dawn broke with cloudy skies but no rain. Radar image confirmed that we could get across the bridge dry and figure things out from there. We hurriedly packed the bike and grabbed breakfast from the hotel’s continental offering. Tim and Leann had the same idea – getting across the bridge dry. They had decided that once across, they’d wait out the weather before heading south and west towards home. We were headed south and then east once below Saginaw Bay. The radar images displayed what appeared to be a decent gap in precipitation that would allow us to move south and slice through a small band of moderate rain before breaking free of it. Mother nature had laid the perfect trap.

This first clip is just the footage of us crossing the 5 miles span of the Mackinaw Bridge. Trailing video footage credit goes to Tim and his GoPro mounted on the nose of his bike. Side footage is from my GoPro.

This video clip captures what we rode through over the next 2 ½ hours. From clouds, light rain began and slowly ramped up to the point of WTF are you doing. The storm moved in and that blob of heavy rain exploded and engulfed our path. We were all in at this point, so we pressed south knowing that at some point we’d break out of the weather.

After stopping for gas near West Branch, we managed to break out of the heavy rain about 20 minutes later. I was soaked through by this point. Annette was too, even with an additional rain jacket over her riding jacket. The rain aided by the speed of travel worked its way past the water repellent properties of every piece of our riding gear. The only thing that remained dry (besides the items packed in the side bags and Givi top box) were items inside my tank bag. Once out of the rain, clear skies brought warmer temperatures and the drying process began. At a rest stop about an hour from home we peeled layers off and finished warming up & drying off.

Home after 8 days and 1566 miles of fantastic riding and adventure! Lessons learned include we need better rain gear or I need to learn how to not ride in the rain. Every meal was at a non-chain based establishment – support your local restaurants and businesses where possible. Thanks for following along.

Wayne
fontanaman, Hppants, BikerGeek and 9 others loved this
Ride There!

IBA#60836

Veteran
FJRModel: 2007

Post by 1911 »

Loved this RR! Great seeing some of the same areas that we rode for the first time in 2021 toured in a different style.

Even had some horse stuff :) I know a little about 4H, FFA and looooong days at shows.
wheatonFJR and Cav47 loved this
D-Eagle
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 FJR
2003 Honda VTX1800
2023 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT

Post by D-Eagle »

Awesome. Loved the "poor decision" arrow. Although I had questioned your decision making ability when you stayed on the grated lane on the Mac bridge. Overall loved the humor and the pictures included in the ride report. Looks like a fantastic time.
wheatonFJR loved this
SE Ohio: Never trust a hill.
extrememarine
HMFIC
I post more than I ride

Post by extrememarine »

I'm getting better with the video editing - still a long ways to go though!

While we were in it, I was looking for a place to stop to wait it out. Once we were home, there was a second band of storms that moved through the area - that storm cell included a couple tornados; one of those touched down about 12-13 miles from us. So looking back, the better option for us was the press through the heavy rain like I did because if we'd delayed any, we could have been caught in a worse scenario of dealing with a tornado.

The lane selection on the bridge was intentional. "Someone" was nervous about the grating, so I demonstrated how safe it was to ride on it...
Deagle10 wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:41 am Awesome. Loved the "poor decision" arrow. Although I had questioned your decision making ability when you stayed on the grated lane on the Mac bridge. Overall loved the humor and the pictures included in the ride report. Looks like a fantastic time.
Ride There!

IBA#60836

Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

Somehow I thought that both lanes on that bridge were grated. Very relieved to know I have a choice. Like "someone", I don't care much for that squirrely-ness.

Great R/R, Wayne. The UP sits squarely on my bucket list. I want to see that part of the county.

Thanks for sharing your ride with us.
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

DesignFlaw06
Veteran
FJRModel: 2006 FJR1300A

Post by DesignFlaw06 »

extrememarine wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:17 am The lane selection on the bridge was intentional. "Someone" was nervous about the grating, so I demonstrated how safe it was to ride on it...
Deagle10 wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:41 am Awesome. Loved the "poor decision" arrow. Although I had questioned your decision making ability when you stayed on the grated lane on the Mac bridge. Overall loved the humor and the pictures included in the ride report. Looks like a fantastic time.
Yeah...that "someone" had a lot to say once she wasn't on an open mic. So thanks for that.

I still have to get through my pictures and post them up. The drone shot of the Copper Harbor lighthouse turned out really nice. I have barely had a minute to myself to do that. Ancillary ride report coming soon.
extrememarine loved this
TimDog!
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

Hppants wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:28 pm Somehow I thought that both lanes on that bridge were grated. Very relieved to know I have a choice. Like "someone", I don't care much for that squirrely-ness.

Great R/R, Wayne. The UP sits squarely on my bucket list. I want to see that part of the county.

Just an FYI, both times I've crossed the Big Mac, I didn't have a choice. Both times they were repairing the pavement lane and I had the joy of riding open steel grating for 5 miles over the waves 100ft below.

Sometimes you don't get a choice.
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
D-Eagle
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 FJR
2003 Honda VTX1800
2023 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT

Post by D-Eagle »

wheatonFJR wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:37 pm
Hppants wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:28 pm Somehow I thought that both lanes on that bridge were grated. Very relieved to know I have a choice. Like "someone", I don't care much for that squirrely-ness.

Just an FYI, both times I've crossed the Big Mac, I didn't have a choice. Both times they were repairing the pavement lane and I had the joy of riding open steel grating for 5 miles over the waves 100ft below.

Sometimes you don't get a choice.
That's all I've experienced as well. Always some bridge maintenance going on in the "good" lane that forces me to the grated lane. I'll ride behind a semi doing 10 mph all bridge rather than the grated lane. Last couple of times there have been a few small chunks of grating missing also....like a bottomless small pothole. Not a problem for cars and probably not an issue for a motorcycle, but I'd prefer as few of surprises as I can get when on that grated bridge. On the plus side I'm still always excited to cross it.
wheatonFJR loved this
SE Ohio: Never trust a hill.
DesignFlaw06
Veteran

Post by DesignFlaw06 »

Hppants wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:28 pm Great R/R, Wayne. The UP sits squarely on my bucket list. I want to see that part of the county.
When you do, let me know. I can give you a great tour along the coast of West Michigan on your way up or back down the lower peninsula.
wheatonFJR, Hppants, and extrememarine loved this
TimDog!
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

It kind of sounds like middle of summer is a great time to go there - as the weather should be pretty mild (at least compared to what I get). Before the kids get out of school might be a bit early, and after they go back to school could be a bit late? So... during summer, are the crowds at the UP reasonable?
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

DesignFlaw06
Veteran

Post by DesignFlaw06 »

Hppants wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:25 pm It kind of sounds like middle of summer is a great time to go there - as the weather should be pretty mild (at least compared to what I get). Before the kids get out of school might be a bit early, and after they go back to school could be a bit late? So... during summer, are the crowds at the UP reasonable?
Much of this trip was still quite warm during the middle of July. When you get to the northern tip of the UP right next to the water (Copper Harbor), it will cool off. I did put my liner in the mesh pants for a day or two. But the hike I took in Tahquamenon Falls exceeded the capacity of my moisture wicking shirt. There can be big swings in a mere 24 hours.

If you are in the U.P. right now, you're likely to see the leaves starting to change. Peak color will happen there will happen in a week or two usually. That can make that area even more beautiful, but there's no need for mesh gear. Michigan schools for the most part all start after Labor Day so the weeks leading up to that holiday will see an increase of traffic with people trying to capture the last bit of summer before school starts. During the week will always be less busy no matter when you go.

Technical twisties are few and far between in Michigan. It is most definitely a stop and smell the roses type trip.
Hppants, wheatonFJR, and extrememarine loved this
TimDog!
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

Nice report, eh?
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey