Fly and Ride 17 FJR

Public Ride & Trip report sub-forum.

Ride reports (RR) posted here are view-able to non-member readers, no log in will be required to visit this sub-forum - use this sub-forum if you want friends, family, co-workers who are not members of the site to be able to read and follow along.
Cav47
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015 ES well appointed FJR
2012 KLX 250S
2022 Honda CRF450RL

Re: Fly and Ride 17 FJR

Post by Cav47 »

Great report!

As G said, the custom order is definitely up to you. My grips are set on 5, 8, and 10 if I recall. 10 will cook ya. Only really need on the sub 32 trips to stay comfortable.

On my “home screen” I have
Windshield position
Ambient temp
Continuous Fuel MPG
Range.

Keep the image and stories coming. I like sitting in the garage reading your adventures!
fontanaman, wheatonFJR, and Niehart loved this
I often have found myself when I was not looking, nor did that discovery take place where I thought it would!

fontanaman
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2017 FJR, 2017 DR650

Post by fontanaman »

Yes played with the ES setting a bit. I took a ride with Eddie and had it in the solo position with standard rebound - that worked well. Loaded I have the ES set to one person with luggage. The rebound is set to standard. This seems to work well for me on the roads here. It is a bit more supple and plush than my GPS/Penske setup on the 09. So far I prefer the suspension on the 17 for it's using more of the available travel so I get jostled around less. I will have to dig into the owners manual and customize the display. Thanks --G.
fontanaman
Contributor
Veteran

Post by fontanaman »

Daily Ditty March 10, 2020.

Today I played tourist at the Johnson Space Center near Houston Texas. I spent about 8 hours here and thoroughly enjoyed myself. I was 13 years old when men landing on the Moon in 1969 so I remember the excitement of the space program. And as I worked in aerospace for 38 years I appreciate the technical and engineering excellence of the space program.

The entrance to Rocket Park.

This J2 engine powered the second stage of the Saturn V rocket.

Here is the technical summary.

Main booster engine for the Saturn V. There was 5 of these on each rocket.

Here are the specs:

This is one of three remaining Saturn V rockets. It was restored and now resides in a very large climate controlled room.

After looking at the size of the command module used during the Apollo mission I found this amusing.

Astronauts have a different point of view of the planet earth after having spent time in space.

The first stage engines.

The second sage:

The third stage:

The beginning of a phrase that lives to this day:

The rocket is huge. This is an impressive display.

The exterior of the rocket was restored but these circuit card buckets need just a wee bit of work!

The Mercury capsule. David Bowie was right, "sitting in my tin can"

The Lunar Command Module seats just three abreast with not much room for anything else. Good grief.

This was not at the Johnson Space Center.

This was in the Thai restaurant I ate at tonight.

To be continued.
CollingsBob, Bugnatr, Hppants and 7 others loved this
bigjohnsd
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021 BMW R1250GSA "Gray Ghost II"

Post by bigjohnsd »

fontanaman wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:03 pm This was not at the Johnson Space Center.

This was in the Thai restaurant I ate at tonight.
An awful lot of Rake and Trail in that puppy, damn hard to steer and look at how low the bars are!
Head down, Ass Up, and pedal like hell!
"The only Dumb Question is the unasked Question " - Anonymous
Eat every Sandwich like it is your last!
Redfish
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014A and 2015ES

Post by Redfish »

Last night Pop and I sipped a couple of beers we didn't buy, ate a supper we didn't cook and watched Hppants polish that black FJR after Fontanaman washed it.

I didn't take any pics but I hope that some show up soon.

It was great to finally meet Fontanaman. Thank you Hppants for inviting Pop and I over for supper.
gixxerjasen, Cav47, bigjohnsd and 3 others loved this
Never run out of real estate, traction and ideas all at the same time.
fontanaman
Contributor
Veteran

Post by fontanaman »

The daily ditty.

March 11, 2020

I road from the Johnson Space Center to Hppants house. Like nearly every day on this trip this one had an unplanned event as well.

The day started out well enough. I took the coast route. It was a foggy morning.

Gee there is a quip here somewhere but I am tired tonight. Pile on!

Houston, we have a problem.

Two and half hours into the ride the Yamaha tail bag is gone. I must have not latched it properly. Must of confused it with the Givi box which latches securely just be pushing it into place. Now I am a candidate for the recipient of the Forum Dumbsh!t award.

After quickly recovering from the initial shock I did an quick mental inventory. I lost a pair of tennis shoes, smoke visor for helmet, 1/2 cover for the bike and Rev'it winter gloves, not to mention the box. Now I don't have a decision to make which top box I will use in the future. :) Anyway it could have been a lot worse. I don't loose heated gear or difficult to replace electronics. Later in the day a Cycle Gear replaced cover and some winter gloves. I have a pair of sandels that will get me through and the visor was on it's last legs.

Anyway as Redfish noted above we had a great dinner at Hppants. It was great to meet the Redfish, Pops, Hppants, Mike and Tom. Had a splendid time. Great hospitality.

March 12, 2020

Hppants, Mike and I were going to go for a ride today. Hppants' job collided with the COVID-19 virus and those plans were scuttled at breakfast. Pants felt really low about that. Another unplanned event. Go with the flow.

I wanted to go to Barber Motorsports but the weather forecast was rubbish. Lots of rain. The forecast the way west around San Antonio was good for two days then rubbish thereafter. So I bailed and started the journey home. Good news, it was in the low 70's today with overcast skies - perfect riding conditions. Also who knows of Barber Motorsports will be open due to the virus so maybe it is time to get home. If I do I can help my wife post foot surgery.

Hppants insisted return on the same coastal route I came except go to Gavelston Island via the ferry. So I did. Here is my Spotwalla Track

This is a crawfish harvesting field. The little cones are craw fish traps.

The beach today. I wouldn't want to be here during a high tide with a storm.

The ferry ride at Galveston. That was pretty cool. I only had to wait about 20 minutes to board. The poor soul going the other way were lined up about 1/2 mile.

A auto ferry going the other way.

The architecture on Galveston Island is interesting. High surf goes right under the house.

On the island the first few miles where right on the beach and it was rather crowded. Hotels on the right side, beach on the left. People everywhere. Shucks Ocean Shores Washington is utterly deserted compared to this - of course it is colder there too.

Well that's it for the night. Thanks for following along.

To be continued.
CollingsBob, Hppants, Niehart and 6 others loved this
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Post by gixxerjasen »

Redfish wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:44 pm Last night Pop and I sipped a couple of beers we didn't buy, ate a supper we didn't cook and watched Hppants polish that black FJR after Fontanaman washed it.
Pretty amazing self control for Redfish to hold back when there's a dirty vehicle and a garden hose around.
My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
Son's Bike:2019 Honda CRF250L

I'm here to serve as an example of what NOT to do.
Redfish
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014A and 2015ES

Post by Redfish »

gixxerjasen wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:14 am
Redfish wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:44 pm Last night Pop and I sipped a couple of beers we didn't buy, ate a supper we didn't cook and watched Hppants polish that black FJR after Fontanaman washed it.
Pretty amazing self control for Redfish to hold back when there's a dirty vehicle and a garden hose around.
My friend I was in a bind. I so wanted to take over but I had just met the man and truly didn't know how to proceed.

I have a lot of experience washing black vehicles. Mrs. Redfish loves her black cars. Mrs. Redfish loves for her black car to be clean and shiny. Mrs. Redfish does not personally wash her own car. She has her roommate do it for her.
fontanaman, bigjohnsd, and BkerChuck loved this
Never run out of real estate, traction and ideas all at the same time.
escapefjrtist
Veteran
FJRModel: '15 FJR 1300A

Post by escapefjrtist »

Following your westward path Fontanaman. Hoping for an uneventful trip home!

~G
Redfish loved this
IBA34365
'15 FJR-USD-A
'18 Tenere
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Post by gixxerjasen »

Redfish wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:33 am My friend I was in a bind. I so wanted to take over but I had just met the man and truly didn't know how to proceed.
As the only person I know to include a minimum of at least one bike washing per RR, and having watched you washing your wife's car, I knew it was all you could do to control yourself in this situation. I'm rather proud of your self restraint.
Redfish and wheatonFJR loved this
My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
Son's Bike:2019 Honda CRF250L

I'm here to serve as an example of what NOT to do.
fontanaman
Contributor
Veteran

Post by fontanaman »

Daily Ditty.

March 13, 2020

Nearly no unplanned events today, except 2 miles from the hotel there was a traffic jam for some reason so I took a 45 minute detour to get around the mess.

Today the temps were between 71 and 82 with partly cloudy skies, straight roads, good pavement and a tires full of air, meaning I check the tires this morning and they are fine.

I stopped at five Motorcycle Grand Tour Of Texas sites today and mostly avoided the Interstate although my route was mostly on divided highway and I am not complaining.

First stop was at Stephen Austin statue.

Next stop was at the Vietnam War Memorial in Hallettsville Texas.

Statue of Liberty is in Halletsville too. Who of thunk? Not a bad looking bike either. Hey Redfish you can detail my bike anytime.

The Juan Seguin Burial Site also in Hallettsville Texas.

The Bluebonnets where out in a few places today.

My favorite stop today was the world's largest Pecan in Seguin Texas.

Yesterday was a 300 mile day with 2 ferry crossing taking about 1 hour. Today was about 435 so tomorrow I will step it up a bit more to take advantage of the good weather.

To be continued.
CollingsBob, Niehart, Hppants and 7 others loved this
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

Been very busy with work as we are in full out execution of our pandemic plan now.

I was honored to have Jim at the house and share a meal with him and my buddies. I was so pissed that my job would not let me go. I've been preaching for somebody to come see me and the first one that shows, and I gotta work.

None the less, we made the best of it and vowed to do it again another time.

Here are a few pics:

Redfish, bigjohnsd, Bugnatr and 4 others loved this
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

fontanaman
Contributor
Veteran

Post by fontanaman »

Thanks much Hppants for posting the photos above.

Today I crossed a time zone so took the opportunity to make good use of the extra hour by riding about 540 miles today.

When I started this morning the humidity was 80% and the temp was about 67 degree something I don't experience very often.

Dig these layer of rock.

About an hour into the ride it started to rain lightly. I got to try out my inexpensive Bilt gloves I bought in Lafayette and I was quite surprise how warm there are. Tomorrow I get to test them again as the temps will be in the lower 40's when I get rolling.

Not long after the rain quite it cleared off and the land, flatter than a pancake for the past two days, started to show some shape again. Oh the joy!

Also the prior two days was mostly gray and overcast. The blue sky was a welcome change and I love desert riding like this.

My last stop of the Motorcycle Grand Tour of Texas.

Any old volcano. Not long after this there was columns of basalt rock similar to Eastern Washington.

A yellow caution turn sign and blue sky along Hwy 118 near Fort Davis. Nice road.

And another turn.

After 3 days of riding I arrive in:

To be continued.
Redfish, CollingsBob, bigjohnsd and 6 others loved this
bigjohnsd
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021 BMW R1250GSA "Gray Ghost II"

Post by bigjohnsd »

Those same inmates always seem to appear when Pants cooks for a visiting dignitary.
Redfish loved this
"The only Dumb Question is the unasked Question " - Anonymous
Eat every Sandwich like it is your last!
FJRoss
Veteran
FJRModel: 2011 FJR 1300
2017 BMW F700GS

Post by FJRoss »

Redfish obviously can't deal with the excitement of the moment.
Redfish and bigjohnsd loved this
ionbeam
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: '15ES in Low-Viz Assfault Gray

Post by ionbeam »

FJRoss wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:46 pm Redfish obviously can't deal with the excitement of the moment.
bigjohnsd wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:44 pm Image
All of us that know Redfish understands that this picture of him is one of pure joy and excitement. He is on the verge of breaking out in song and dance. ;)
Redfish, Full House, Festus and 2 others loved this
fontanaman
Contributor
Veteran

Post by fontanaman »

Daily Ditty a day late.

I ended up in Deming New Mexico on March 14 after a 500 mile day.

On Sunday March 15 I did it again.

This was a get down the freeway day. It is what it is. Tonight as I write this the COVID-19 capturing the national attention and hard supplies are in heavy demand from coast to coast. TP and cleaning supplies seem hardest hit. Restaurants, bars, brewpub and wineries are closed in Washington States. In Oregon restaurants can provide take out. In California bars, brewpubs and wineries are closed, except in LA County where only take out will be allowed tomorrow. It is getting worse by the day. Fear is gripping the nation. Next will motels be closed? Canada closed it's boarder today to non-Canadians. Canadians are heading back home from the SW US in mass after being told there health care coverage was no longer valid in the US.

This is not the time to be out touring on a motorcycle. So home it is and as quickly as I can with safety a priority.

Anyway here are some images from Sunday March 15th.

I have a thing for mountains. This is in New Mexico.

Hello Arizona.

It is spring in Arizona.

This photo was a mistake but it illustrates why I don't like the stock mirrors. Notice the hand grip is clearly in view. Once my hand is there I can only see to the side but not what is behind me. Grrrrr. I have FZ1 mirrors on my 09 and they will be on my 17 soon.

The yellow flowers were sure pretty.

There was this odd rock formation with boulders like this over an area about 1 square mile or so. By the time I got my camera out this is all I got. Sure was an odd place compared to the surrounding area.

I was on Arizona 85 north when this thing passed me doing about 75 mph. The speed limit was 70 and I was doing about 68. Crazy.

Nice looking peak.

I landed in Blythe California and I was tired after two successive 500 mile days. The trip was begin to loose it's luster with COVID-19 getting worse by the day. Stops at museums are not advised or they are simply closed.

Rather than update this post I laid out a ride plan on a spreadsheet to get home. I balanced some fun road with 350 mile days, something I can ride successively without getting tired.

March 16, 2020

Today I rode from Blythe to near Indio California, about 1.5 hours, to visit a friend who is spending the winter in his RV in Southern California. His wife made us a great lunch and we shot the breeze for about 2 hours before I headed to Passadena and get here just in time to beat a soaking rain.

Here is my bike in the parking lot.

All in all it was about 215 miles today and this was a set up to for the rest of the ride home. The storm will blow out by 9:00pm tonight and I should have a pretty nice ride tomorrow.

Today is Monday and I expect to be home on Friday afternoon.

To be continued.
Redfish, escapefjrtist, Full House and 4 others loved this
Blueridgerider
FJRModel: 2016 FJR1300A

Post by Blueridgerider »

escapefjrtist wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:52 pm Highway pegs removed immediately and I have it on good authority the lowered pegs lasted all of one ride. ;)

Looking good Fontanaman!

~G
Yeah those pegs make me nervous just looking at them. One thing I love about the FJR is that I can lean it over endlessly without scraping anything. One thing I hated about the Goldwing I sold was that it always scrapped pegs. In my opinion they are dangerous to have so low like that.
2016 FJR1300A Traxxionized
2017 Kawasaki Z900
fontanaman
Contributor
Veteran

Post by fontanaman »

Daily Ditty

March 17, 2020

Today I rode 320 miles but it was a great day. Last nights weather blew through and left puffy clouds the majority of the day. I started out to to temperatures in to low 50's.

I had been thinking about this day the entire trip. I finally got off the freeway today to enjoy this:

The Pacific Ocean. Six days ago I was along the Gulf Of Mexico in Louisiana and Texas. I have been up Hwy 1 before and was thrilled it was a great day for riding.

Nice day for photos with a few clouds in the sky.

The road is cut into steep cliffs so I was checking the Cal Trans app before I left this morning to make sure it was still open!

The views are spectacular as it the road. I got to lean the '17 over pretty good for the first time. The Angel GT tracked just fine.

Stopped at the Elephant Seal Vista Point.

It was nice to have time today to stop and see the sights along the way.

Big Creek Bridge, Big Sur.

A different view farther away.

Gee did I say it was a great day?

McWay Falls.

Calendar worthy?

I landed in Monterey after a 7 hour day. It was spectacular.

To be continued.
Redfish, NTXFJR, bigjohnsd and 7 others loved this
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

Blueridgerider wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:40 pm
escapefjrtist wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:52 pm Highway pegs removed immediately and I have it on good authority the lowered pegs lasted all of one ride. ;)

Looking good Fontanaman!

~G
Yeah those pegs make me nervous just looking at them. One thing I love about the FJR is that I can lean it over endlessly without scraping anything. One thing I hated about the Goldwing I sold was that it always scrapped pegs. In my opinion they are dangerous to have so low like that.
The fix for that was putting real springs in the forks, 70 series tire on the back (Valkyrie size) and not having the shock preload set too low.... no scrapie. Turned it into the 900 lb. sport tourer. Sold mine, just too heavy but OK nonetheless!

Great pics, Jim. I think the PCH is best down that way..... keep it coming!
fontanaman and wheatonFJR loved this
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.