Pity the fool that wasn't one of us today

Public Ride & Trip report sub-forum.

Ride reports (RR) posted here are view-able to non-member readers, no log in will be required to visit this sub-forum - use this sub-forum if you want friends, family, co-workers who are not members of the site to be able to read and follow along.
dcarver
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: Gen2, Superior 2006, Gen 3 2013 twice as good!

Re: Pity the fool that wasn't one of us today

Post by dcarver »

Love the clouds...
wheatonFJR loved this
Blueridgerider
FJRModel: 2016 FJR1300A

Post by Blueridgerider »

wheatonFJR wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:43 pm CODA: When I got home at the last lingering rays of sunlight I was tired. It was a full day of fun. But I didn't really sleep well the night before in anticipation of my first full day of fun in the mountains since the surgery. Collarbone did fine...in that I did not notice it at all.

However, I did notice towards the latter half of the ride that the skin on top of my shoulder by my neck felt like it got a burr or something under my collar...which seemed pretty weird. I figured I'd check it when I got home. I did check after I had that first beer, and it was a burn about 2 inches long in a straight line....blistered up. It's scabbed up now and about healed...but I guess I need to make sure I have a collar or something on my shirt in that area under my heated liner. I only had my liner at about 30-40%, and never had any issue in the 7 years I've had it.
What a fantastic day and way to start the new year. I am sure your adrenaline was flowing the night before especially given what you had been through. I also usually have a hard time sleeping the night before a great day like that is planned out with a good friend. So glad to hear your healed up as well. That has to be a good feeling knowing you can get back out there without issues. I was able to ride 2 straight days over new years with a friend as well who came down from VA. I slept good the night before our ride as he stayed with us and we did a damn good job of pounding a few beers before turning in ;) Definitely a fine line though given how you can feel the next morning. The weather sure cooperated over those few days. Man that looked like a full day to get out to Blood Mountain and be home with some daylight left. Looks like you were on the BRP as well? Great photos. It must have been a very early start. I sure would like to join you all sometime if you would not mind having me along.
wheatonFJR loved this
2016 FJR1300A Traxxionized
2017 Kawasaki Z900
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

BRRider,
I just followed my buddy Duane around...he's good like that. Right now following, instead of leading, is good for me to get back into the groove. I rode 440 miles 2 weeks later, so I'm feelin pretty good and the collarbone feels healed...or close to it. I know God's magic is still working, knitting things together....but feelin good for the most part. Now I just need to get the muscles stronger that have atrophied.

Regarding roads, no BRP, but we did take NC215 up and over the BRP, then headed north after connecting to 276 and headed past Trust and Luck to Hot Springs, then over to Erwin, Bakersville, Roan Mtn, and to points back.

Had a whale of a time. Iffn yer interested, I'm sure Duane/1911 will be posting up some ride some day.
Hppants, Blueridgerider, El Toro Joe and 1 others loved this
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
Veteran
FJRModel: 2007

Post by 1911 »

The next ride that I'm looking forward to won't happen this weekend

but it will be time to come out and play soon, and some new faces would be good
Hppants loved this
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

wheatonFJR wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:15 pm I need no pity. I was there. Duane was my tour guide for the awesome day that it was.

It would only have been better if the guy in the pickemup truck with Tennessee plates didn't throw his litter over the guardrail at the Roan Mountain overlook. Sorry if I slowed you down Duane, but I had an awesome ride.

2020 is gonna be a very good year.
Well.

There goes my prognosticating license.

As an aside, I lost my job of six years on July 10th in large part due to the Effen Wuhan Virus.

Good news though. Before laying my ass off, my boss called other engineering firms in the area to see if they had need of my engineering skills and got a response from one of them. I called the same day. Busted ass to update my resume, sent it. He was still interested, so interviewed and got the job for comparable salary and responsibilities. I start this Friday. Awesome.

In the meantime, Louanne and I took a little 5 day trip, 3 of which are exploring waterfalls in north Georgia. Did you know there is a waterfall off of Blood Mountain? Neither did I. We did Richard Russell today and Burton Dam Rd. Had no idea there was a waterfall off of the RRR. No effen idea.

So, although 2020 has sucked, there's still good stuff in life. Sorry Duane for ruining your RR.
Toter, bill lumberg, LKLD and 12 others loved this
SkooterG
Veteran
FJRModel: 2004 X 2, 2009 X 2, 2013 X2, 2014, 2017, 2023...... I have issues!

Post by SkooterG »

wheatonFJR wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:05 pm Before laying my ass off, my boss called other engineering firms in the area to see if they had need of my engineering skills and got a response from one of them. I called the same day. Busted ass to update my resume, sent it. He was still interested, so interviewed and got the job for comparable salary and responsibilities. I start this Friday. Awesome.

I had no idea Legos were so popular in your part of the country. Congrats!
HotRodZilla loved this
Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.

IBA #327

'04 FJR -- '09 FJR -- '13 FJR -- '14 FJR ES -- '17 FJR ES - What can I say? I have issues!
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

SkooterG wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:43 pm
wheatonFJR wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:05 pm Before laying my ass off, my boss called other engineering firms in the area to see if they had need of my engineering skills and got a response from one of them. I called the same day. Busted ass to update my resume, sent it. He was still interested, so interviewed and got the job for comparable salary and responsibilities. I start this Friday. Awesome.

I had no idea Legos were so popular in your part of the country. Congrats!
Well, I had no idea you could spell "Lego" so we're both mystified. Congrats to you as well. Your mom is proud.
HotRodZilla and SkooterG loved this
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

I'm still discovering waterfalls in north Georgia - and I've found a bunch of 'em....
wheatonFJR loved this
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

Veteran
FJRModel: 2007

Post by 1911 »

Bump, just because I was looking for something else, ran across this, and thought it was funny to see the optimism of early 2020.
bill lumberg and wheatonFJR loved this
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2018ES/2022ES

Post by bill lumberg »

After the best summer ever, I’ll be lucky to be off one day a week, at best, for the next month. I shall live vicariously.
EWTBAGUITTDGS

2022ES