Broken Givi Mount

Tech section strictly for the FJR. Everything from oil changes & suspension setup's to removing sheep hair from hard to reach places on the bike so that your wife never finds out.
RacinRay
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016 ES 2011 Triumph Speed Triple

Broken Givi Mount

Post by RacinRay »

I noticed my top case moving around a bit so I took it apart and found one of the tabs completely broken in half. Glad I didn't lose the case!
I'm guessing I over loaded it.ImageImage
The dildo of consequences never arrives lubed.
ionbeam
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: '15ES in Low-Viz Assfault Gray

Re: Broken Givi Mount

Post by ionbeam »

Unfortunately, that isn't rare.

(Borrowed picture)

I made a couple of 'relocation' bars to bring the trunk back about 1 ½" which actually gives my pillion a lot more seat room. It also reinforces the mounting rack a bit.

Another inventive FJR owner made an entire plate which was adjustable and it also would reinforce the rack.

Since this kind of break does happen to Givi racks it may be worth killing a few bits & bytes to send Givi an email and see what happens.
RacinRay
Veteran

Post by RacinRay »

Thanks. I didn't realize this was a common problem. I will definitely sent a note to Givi.

I was also thinking about adding two additional tabs so I can use all 6 holes on the plastic mount rather than just 4.

wnyfjr
FJRModel: 06 AE

Post by wnyfjr »

That one pic is actually my bike and mount. So no, you are not alone. Thankfully, I had recently taken a beginners welding class and borrowed a friends rig to weld it back up. I added a couple of pieces of angle underneath to stiffen it up a bit. I'm not a great welder, but I can grind steel pretty well, so after a bit of rattle can paint, looked good as new! ;)

Last I checked it was holding well. Of course, now you got me thinking I should give it a look-see to be sure...
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2018ES/2022ES

Post by bill lumberg »

Hmm. When I replaced my original after 100,000 miles of heavy use, merely as a precaution, I was called a heretic. Okay, maybe I’m exaggerating.

My old one still looks great. But I feel better with a new one. Good info.
wheatonFJR loved this
EWTBAGUITTDGS

2022ES
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

bill lumberg wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:30 am Hmm. When I replaced my original after 100,000 miles of heavy use, merely as a precaution, I was called a heretic.
Are you sure that wasn't just 0Face announcing the find of another tick on his body?
Hppants loved this
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
RacinRay
Veteran

Post by RacinRay »

My local welder fixed it up good. He ran a bead down the entire length of the tab and welded the break on both sides and ground it flat. He also painted it all for $20.
wnyfjr loved this