Steering Stem Socket

Tech section strictly for the FJR. Everything from oil changes & suspension setup's to removing sheep hair from hard to reach places on the bike so that your wife never finds out.
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Steering Stem Socket

Post by gixxerjasen »

So, I did a search, here, there, and the other place. Seems this comes up every so often of someone needing to fiddle with the steering head and finding out that Yamaha has a castle nut and a specialty tool for it made of unobtanium. Then when someone posts about it, a bunch of folks jump in and want it too. Apparently there was a member who made the sockets for this but doesn't anymore and yes you could make your own but some of us are impatient and not inclined to do such things.

Anyway, I wanted to share the results of my search. Turns out, there's a guy on ebay who makes these and the price isn't too bad compared with others I've seen out there and other castle nut sockets I've had to buy in the past. In turn, the guy was very helpful and excellent on his communications with me in verifying my model and ensuring I get the right tool the first time. Even answered a few of my questions quickly and shipping was fast.

I ordered at 5:45pm on Oct 22, and my first message to confirm my year, make and model was at 6:04pm. I had the tool in my hands today 10/25 via priority mail. Total of $35.00 shipped.

For my 2007 the tool was: Steering Stem Socket Wrench DHS-8194
ebay ad: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Steering-Stem- ... :rk:1:pf:0
Seller: dans64s5

Anyway, I was happy to find the right tool for the job, and was happy to have an attentive seller after just having a bad experience with another seller on ebay so I thought I'd share with the rest of you.
Steel_Gin loved this
My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
Son's Bike:2019 Honda CRF250L

I'm here to serve as an example of what NOT to do.
Harald
FJRModel: 2020 FJR1300ES

Re: Steering Stem Socket

Post by Harald »

Thanks for the info and feedback. I was lucky enough to get in on a buy for those custom made ones years ago (I think it was JustRoy who made them?). Any local peeps in the Seattle/Tacoma area are welcome to borrow it.
gixxerjasen loved this
extrememarine
HMFIC
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2009 FJR

Post by extrememarine »

Great find - thanks for sharing.

I ended up making one a few years ago out of a deep well impact socket I got from Harbor Freight. It's not pretty, but fits and does the job.
Ride There!
-Wayne aka asphalt surfer...

IBA#60836

#Peteyismyhero & #JWillywashere
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

I believe mine is a JustRoy socket... paid 20 something for it at the time, which was a steal.......

Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.