Head Light Terminal issue

Tech section strictly for the FJR. Everything from oil changes & suspension setup's to removing sheep hair from hard to reach places on the bike so that your wife never finds out.
Steel_Gin
Veteran
FJRModel: 2012 FJR1300A

Head Light Terminal issue

Post by Steel_Gin »

I have about two weeks left on my extended warranty and noticed the right head light was out. (Throttle side) I was able to reach my hand in, just touched the terminal and it came back on. Next I held the terminal with one finger so it doesn’t move and with another gently move the wires and the bulb flickers. If the problem is in fact the terminal or wire, this should be seen as a non-wear item and be covered under warranty, right? I’m asking just in case they try saying it’s not covered and try saying it’s a wear item.

Dropping it off at a dealer tomorrow. A little bummed since I have to give it up for a few days since the riding season is never long enough in the northeast. But glad it happened before the warranty was out, assuming I don’t have to open my wallet.
Twigg
FJRModel: 2005 FJR1300A

Re: Head Light Terminal issue

Post by Twigg »

Yeah, it should be covered unless they tell you the fault was in the bulb.

H4 connectors can loosen. A minor adjustment of the terminals may be all that is needed.
Steel_Gin
Veteran

Post by Steel_Gin »

Thanks Twigg. I forgot to mention I did give all of the contacts on the bulb a small push outward.

Didn't think of this question until now. What is best to do for the contacts on the bulb, very slight bend inward or outward?
Twigg
FJRModel: 2005 FJR1300A

Post by Twigg »

deang wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:47 am Thanks Twigg. I forgot to mention I did give all of the contacts on the bulb a small push outward.

Didn't think of this question until now. What is best to do for the contacts on the bulb, very slight bend inward or outward?
Leave the bulb contacts alone. If you try to bend them, you risk breaking the sealing material.
Steel_Gin
Veteran

Post by Steel_Gin »

Did another ever so slight push outward to the contacts before I saw the above post. Fortunately nothing broke. After doing that the flickers stopped so I didn't bring it to the dealer. Based on that maybe the plug was moving just a little bit even though I had it firmly in place, it isn't like there is much room there to work. So I'm going to ride and see what happens.