Dark Side Advice Needed

Talk about issues and questions specific to the FJR here.
rbentnail
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2007A, 2013A

Re: Dark Side Advice Needed

Post by rbentnail »

I'm on my 3rd car tire. The Riken Raptor I have now rides and handles nearly exactly like the Exalto. IMHO anyone would be hard pressed to tell the difference between the two. I've got about 14 K miles on it and it's less than 1/2 worn. Definitely going to buy again.
Bust and NTXFJR loved this
BkerChuck
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 FJR1300A

Post by BkerChuck »

He saw that booger placement.....
Bust, SkooterG, and HotRodZilla loved this
ImageImageImage

IBA #50866
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2018ES/2022ES

Post by bill lumberg »

Sitting here in my garagoffice in front of two laptops and a giant iPad, but watching F9 on an iPhone. Brilliant.
Uncle Hud wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:39 am
Canadian FJR wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:51 pm https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hEZeR9E3JyY

Canadian FJR
Outstanding video, as usual. Loved the sidestand bead breaker and the tire changing sequence with no dialogue.

OFF-TOPIC ALERT: This is the video that locked my radar onto FortNine and Ryan. (apologies for the F*&%#! ads.)
EWTBAGUITTDGS

2022ES
Canadian FJR
Veteran
FJRModel: 2018 FJR-1300ES, 2010 Ural Gear Up, 2003
Yamaha FJR-1300, 2001 Kawasaki KLR-650 (Gone to a new home), 1997 Suzuki TL-1000s (Gone but not forgotten), 1976 Honda 400 Four, 1968 Honda C-50 Step-thru

Post by Canadian FJR »

Out for a ride with the local yocals yesterday and at times we were running pretty hard. I was finding the if I hit some bumps mid turn the tire started flexing And one had to pay attention.

I cranked the damping up to hard without adjusting the preload and it really settled down. At the end of the day I was very impressed with how well the ct handled in the twisties.

Canadian FJR
Bust and rbentnail loved this
Canadian FJR
Veteran
Yamaha FJR-1300, 2001 Kawasaki KLR-650 (Gone to a new home), 1997 Suzuki TL-1000s (Gone but not forgotten), 1976 Honda 400 Four, 1968 Honda C-50 Step-thru

Post by Canadian FJR »

A repost from the other forum.

I have a bunch of Kms running a CT on the FJR. During my winter maintenance I just noticed that it is rubbing on the inner fender.

I suspect that it’s a combination of riding too aggressive on our $h!tty Nova Scotia roads with too soft a setting.

Not a huge concern but a heads up to others.

Canadian FJR
Bust, bill lumberg, and wheatonFJR loved this
wetwolf
FJRModel: 2005 FJR (Tire eater)
1999 Bandit 1200 (The hooligan bike!)

Post by wetwolf »

Well, I've got a spare rim and brake arm coming to me next week. Rode with a buddy that went darkside on his wing about 2 months ago and he said the usual, a litle harder to lean in, but stands right up coming out. I folowed him for quite some time thru 90 mph sweepers on the freeway and he seemed to do just fine.
Considering 80% of my riding is slab, 2 up, and sometimes hauling a trailer at triple digits, I figure I cant really go wrong, and since it is on a spare rim, I can swap out ct to mt in under 15 minutes.

Not that I'm a cheap bastard, but 2 rear tires a season gets old, and what really sucks is I don't figure out I need the second until right before a long ride, or during said long ride.
CraigRegs, rbentnail, FJRPittsburgh and 4 others loved this
Do I really need to put something here?? Why don't you guys just think of something witty instead...........
FJRoss
Veteran
FJRModel: 2011 FJR 1300
2017 BMW F700GS

Post by FJRoss »

Cheap is good!
I tried Darkside twice. First time was OK but I swapped back before the tire was finished. The MC tire was past finished when I went to the CT so it didn't seem awful. Was nice to get back to the MC tire.
The second time was for a long cross-continent trip. I have to say that it was really nice to have during the inevitable long slab runs but it sucked a lot of the joy out of the backroads. I won't say "never again" but I doubt I will try another one.
FJRPittsburgh and wheatonFJR loved this
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

Many of the Goldwing crowd used run-flats, which are really stiff sidewall things.... partially offset by the narrower choices available for their 16" wheels and the bike being heavier.
You don't want sidewalls too stiff on a CT for the FJR and you run ~30 psi. In the old days the Michelin Exalto was the tire of choice, but you'd have to read up on CT threads to see what's a good choice these days. OTOH, Hankook sidewalls were too soft and required higher PSI, and wore out too fast.
FJRPittsburgh and HotRodZilla loved this
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by raYzerman »

Canadian FJR wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:48 pm A repost from the other forum.

I have a bunch of Kms running a CT on the FJR. During my winter maintenance I just noticed that it is rubbing on the inner fender.

I suspect that it’s a combination of riding too aggressive on our $h!tty Nova Scotia roads with too soft a setting.

Not a huge concern but a heads up to others.

Canadian FJR
Damping can help, but the OEM shocks are undersprung..... Add more preload on that ES....
HotRodZilla loved this
NTXFJR
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016 FJR1300A

Post by NTXFJR »

I've had my ct on for nearly a year now, prolly somewhere around 8k or 9k miles on it with no signs of wearing out anytime soon. For me, there's a split second of reaction time every time I get on the bike after not having ridden it for a while that when I hit that first turn and the bike's handling seems like it's off a bit like a low tire or something. Then I remember oh that's right, there's a ct back there.

My experience has been overall positive for the ct, like mentioned by others, imo the mileage and relative handling on the slab makes the benefits of running the ct shine. My experience last year when pushing handlebars in the Rockies, Sierras, and at Red Lodge, even when pulling a Bushtec, was that once the lean is initiated, the tire has a split second of ever so slight wallow and then it settles in and grabs. It inspired my confidence in it after completing that 6k mile trip. Pushing the handlebars to initiate a lean definitely takes a bit more effort, and for me there's the split second of the tire finding its path in the lean. I had no issues in confidence with grip in the mountain twisties, I'd have to see real numbers but it wouldn't surprise me if tests showed that a ct could offer superior grip to a mt in cornering, especially with a higher touring load and trailer in tow.
FJRPittsburgh and Brodie loved this
We travel not to escape life, but for life not to escape us.

IBA # 65427
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

Have you ever had the CT “push” the front tire in a corner?

Have you ever had a bit of skittishness on wet mountain roads because of the car tire pushing the front tire around as the CT finds itself after the initiation of lean?
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
NTXFJR
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016 FJR1300A

Post by NTXFJR »

Not yet, but it does seem to push the front tire a bit when going over a feral hog.
FJRPittsburgh, HotRodZilla, Cav47 and 2 others loved this
We travel not to escape life, but for life not to escape us.

IBA # 65427
bigjohnsd
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021 BMW R1250GSA "Gray Ghost II"

Post by bigjohnsd »

wheatonFJR wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 10:39 am Have you ever had the CT “push” the front tire in a corner?

Have you ever had a bit of skittishness on wet mountain roads because of the car tire pushing the front tire around as the CT finds itself after the initiation of lean?
I ran Darkside on my FJR for about 15K miles. Not a lot of wet weather, what wet I experienced was primarily in PA on the slab.
I don't recall feeling like the Rear Tire ever "pushed" the front in a corner.
Cav47, FJRPittsburgh, SkooterG and 2 others loved this
"The only Dumb Question is the unasked Question " - Anonymous
Eat every Sandwich like it is your last!
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by raYzerman »

I never had any push feeling either..... but I do have a buddy who shreds front tires in curves, and he doesn't have a CT, it's a matter of technique, I think going in too hot...... and my Exalto stuck like glue.
FJRPittsburgh and HotRodZilla loved this
HotRodZilla
Veteran
FJRModel: 07 FJR-A

Post by HotRodZilla »

raYzerman wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 12:28 pm I never had any push feeling either..... but I do have a buddy who shreds front tires in curves, and he doesn't have a CT, it's a matter of technique, I think going in too hot...... and my Exalto stuck like glue.
If Wheatie's front tires look like his rear tires, any "push" he is feeling is prolly the front tire trying to push itself into a trash bin. Haha!

I would think the bike would push with a trailer on, but not so much with a CT. No weight change and what should be a similar traction profile across the board. I have about a whole 2 miles of CT experience though, so it is entirely possible I am full of crap! I did follow Fairlaner through twisties and he never seemed to have any issues.
NTXFJR, wheatonFJR, and FJRPittsburgh loved this
rbentnail
Contributor
Veteran

Post by rbentnail »

I've ridden on 3 different car tires and none of them slowed me down at all. Wet grip is superior- that's important in the tropical storms and 2 hurricanes I rode in. If exploring, check out the Rikken Raptor. For me it is the best of the 3 I've tried.
NTXFJR and HotRodZilla loved this
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

I just remember reading somewhere in the past, that the fronts wore more and differently when using the CT. Didn't say nothing about faster or slower. I was just curious if the front got pushed and there was less traction as the rear sidewall transitioned for the lean. Front tire traction is something im a little more senthative to these days.

Sounds like that question has been answered.
HotRodZilla loved this
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
rbentnail
Contributor
Veteran

Post by rbentnail »

The definitive answer is no, there is no difference in front tire wear with a car tire or without
Uncle Hud loved this
Canadian FJR
Veteran

Post by Canadian FJR »

I respectfully disagree.
My front definitely wears faster when running a car tire on the back.

Might not be an issue for constant Interstate running but for back road riding it pushes the front more.

Canadian FJR
wheatonFJR loved this
rbentnail
Contributor
Veteran

Post by rbentnail »

What front tire are you using? I use Michelin Pilot POWER 2CT. I get about 10K miles from it with car or bike tire and either way I tend to wear out the sides before the center. Very rare I ever wear down to the cords. Maybe a longer mileage tire slips & slides too much? Of course there's so many variables- road surface type, suspension settings, riding style, etc. We tend to have very smooth roads around me, as in like desktop smooth. Down east at the coast they tend to be rougher but there's no twisties within 80 miles of there.