15 ES Forks

Talk about issues and questions specific to the FJR here.
Powerman
Veteran
FJRModel: 06fjr

15 ES Forks

Post by Powerman »

Buddy just bought a clean 15 ES with 20K. Complains of front end looseness, shop checked stem bearings as OK. Front tire has some cupping. Looks like previous owner never leaned more than a couple of degrees.

Fork dives and rebounds a couple inches, makes little clunk noise when rebounding. No experience with ES, no adjustments? Sitting on it in the parking lot and pushing down on the bar it feels like it could use some preload and a little damping. The ES stuff not active in the parking lot?
/
Intech
I'm Not Back
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015

Re: 15 ES Forks

Post by Intech »

Clunk is not good. Something is loose. As long as the bike is running the ES is active. Did you try adjusting it through the settings? The bike has to be running and in neutral to access the full settings.
wheatonFJR loved this
RIP BeemerDonS JSNS
RIP Petey
RIP jwilly
RIP 1911
Powerman
Veteran
FJRModel: 06fjr

Post by Powerman »

He tried all the settings. It was dark and I didn't ride it after drinking.
Clunk may be a little over exaggerated, but it made a noise.
ionbeam
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: '15ES in Low-Viz Assfault Gray

Post by ionbeam »

Powerman wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 12:59 pm ...Complains of front end looseness, shop checked stem bearings as OK...Image
Loose steering head bearings were not an uncommon issue with the '15 FJR. They make a clunking noise and sometimes even feel a little loose.

Put the clunking FJR on the center stand. Have a helper carefully push down on the back of the bike until the front wheel is off the ground. Sit on the ground with the front wheel between your legs (kneel down if you are young and your knees are good ;) ). Grab the lower ends of the forks with both hands then push and pull the forks backwards and forwards with some force. There should be no noise or movement from the steering head.
wheatonFJR loved this
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

All FJR's need their steering head bearings checked early in life... if never done, they could be loose. Other clunks include brake rotor noise (floating rivet design) and loose air deflector under bottom of triple tree. There shouldn't be anything rattling in the forks..... I doubt there really could be.
wheatonFJR loved this
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
ionbeam
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: '15ES in Low-Viz Assfault Gray

Post by ionbeam »

raYzerman wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 4:04 pm ...Other clunks include brake rotor noise (floating rivet design)...There shouldn't be anything rattling in the forks..... I doubt there really could be.
+1 to the rotors.
wheatonFJR loved this
jwilly
Site Admin
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016

Post by jwilly »

Powerman wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 1:22 pm He tried all the settings. I rode it after drinking.
I found the problem.. :D
LKLD, wheatonFJR, and Redfish loved this
I’d be more than happy to swear under oath that having watched you ride for many, many miles, there is no way in hell you could be speeding through those curves. -0face