End of season

Talk about issues and questions specific to the FJR here.
bungie4
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013 FJR 1300

End of season

Post by bungie4 »

Battery is out, gas seafoamed, full tank, Russell of in the house. Done, finito end of season.

71897 - 59518 = 12379km / 7691 mi.

Man, this bike is lucky it gets my yaya's off, because I'm sure not riding it enough.
Last edited by bungie4 on Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WWPD.
#SnowMexican
Choo choo mf'r.
That's weird, I don't remember eating asparagus.
Redfish
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014A and 2015ES

Re: End of season

Post by Redfish »

1. That is more miles than the average Harley in my area will EVER see. I am not joking or in any way insulting those bikes or their owners. I am simply saying that your (our) idea of worthwhile usage is vastly different from what others may think.

2. What is this "End of Season" thing? It's 71F and raining here. I will probably ride to work tomorrow in rain gear just because.
Uncle Hud and bungie4 loved this
Never run out of real estate, traction and ideas all at the same time.
Pterodactyl
Veteran
FJRModel: R1250GSA w/ Sidecar

Post by Pterodactyl »

I’m sitting at 17,500 miles so far this year. About 2,000 on the FJR and the rest on the GSA. Still hoping for some decent riding days.
Kevin
The Outpost
Silver City, MT
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

It's harder for me to tell yearly mileage, as I'm always getting ready for a ride and only rarely putting the tender on the battery.

That being said, unless I'm taking a trip across the continent, my miles are down from up north. Playgrounds are much closer than they used to be.
Redfish loved this
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
extrememarine
HMFIC
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2009 FJR

Post by extrememarine »

1 - FYRFH + FYW.

2 - There were many upsides to moving back to Michigan - being stationed less than a day or 2 drive from family, being close to help take care of aging parents, leaving the event you help organize annually for a brother's wedding, and many more.

The minute I got the orders to 1stBn, 24th Marines, I knew my 15k-20k miles per year days were over. I even dropped to one motorcycle for a few years.

The battery tender is plugged in, gas treatment in and winter project list drafted...
bungie4 wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:00 pm Battery is out, gas seafoamed, full tank, Russell of in the house. Done, finito end of season.

71897 - 59518 = 12379km / 7691 mi.

Man, this bike is lucky it gets my yaya's off, because I'm sure not riding it enough.
Redfish loved this
Ride There!
-Wayne aka asphalt surfer...

IBA#60836

#Peteyismyhero & #JWillywashere
rbentnail
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2007A, 2013A

Post by rbentnail »

I too have parked mine, due some to weather and other a left hip I posted about elsewhere. And I've been drafting a winter maintenance list as I always do, adding an item here and there.
Uncle Hud loved this
Redfish
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014A and 2015ES

Post by Redfish »

extrememarine wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:06 pm 1 - FYRFH + FYW.
I suppose it is just a matter of interpretation but I actually appreciate the F You.

I think F You means that you want me to get F'ed which means you want me to get laid and Getting Laid is really one of the nicest things that could happen to me. I am going to go find Mrs. Redfish and let her know this right now and hopefully things will work out for me.

One of my co-workers lives about midway between Edmonton and Calgary, Alberta Canada. He rides a nice little Triumph Street Triple to work almost every day, he is the only "biker" that rides more often than I do. He says he loves our Louisiana roads and he really loves our Louisiana weather.

"You guys can ride all year. You just don't know how good you've got it." He was at home two weeks ago and rode one day at -2Celsius. He was sweating riding home here this past week at 80ish F.

And Wayne my friend? I may turn my heated grips to medium in the morning since it is supposed to be in the low 60F range.
Never run out of real estate, traction and ideas all at the same time.
extrememarine
HMFIC
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2009 FJR

Post by extrememarine »

Maybe instead of using this time (aka - Winter) pestering Mrs. Redfish, you could spend some time on that DR so you're prepared for WV next year.
Then again - never mind - go pester Mrs Redfish - Jim & I will enjoy the entertainment when you get to WV...

:)
Redfish wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:17 pm
extrememarine wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:06 pm 1 - FYRFH + FYW.
I suppose it is just a matter of interpretation but I actually appreciate the F You.

I think F You means that you want me to get F'ed which means you want me to get laid and Getting Laid is really one of the nicest things that could happen to me. I am going to go find Mrs. Redfish and let her know this right now and hopefully things will work out for me.

One of my co-workers lives about midway between Edmonton and Calgary, Alberta Canada. He rides a nice little Triumph Street Triple to work almost every day, he is the only "biker" that rides more often than I do. He says he loves our Louisiana roads and he really loves our Louisiana weather.

"You guys can ride all year. You just don't know how good you've got it." He was at home two weeks ago and rode one day at -2Celsius. He was sweating riding home here this past week at 80ish F.

And Wayne my friend? I may turn my heated grips to medium in the morning since it is supposed to be in the low 60F range.
wheatonFJR loved this
Ride There!
-Wayne aka asphalt surfer...

IBA#60836

#Peteyismyhero & #JWillywashere
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

When I bought my FJR in October of 03, I kept riding when I could. Jan 1, 2004, since I had it off of work and it was sunny and dry, I rode 400 miles...never mind that it was low 40s to mid 30s when I came home from Wisconsin in the dark with my leather jacket and fingerless gloves. That's the insanity talking of being off bikes for 20 years.

I rode yesterday in the 40s and 50s, with my electric glove liners and heated insulated jacket under my other layers. Rode all of 128 miles and took 5 1/2hours to do it. I am not ashamed. No, not ashamed at all.
CollingsBob, Redfish, and John d loved this
John d
Veteran
FJRModel: 2008A

Post by John d »

Being in the southern part of Ontario Canada, I never know how winter will go, so I never put it away. I don't mind the salt. My '08 owes me nothing. Some years I might have to wait 7-8 weeks to get a ride in, other years less, however, I will put Stabil in starting in mid to late December, just in case.

In the spring, after the salt is all washed away, I give it the yearly fully completely wash. I should take pictures at those points.

Fortunately, the FJR is mostly bulletproof, and doesn't need any serious down time for winter maintenance, ever.
CollingsBob and wheatonFJR loved this
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

I don't really put it away either, but I won't ride in slushy salt, has to be dry. Made the mistake once and had to spend an entire day removing brakes, etc. and cleaning them up.
John d loved this
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Post by gixxerjasen »

I chat regularly with a coworker who rides that lives in Dublin Ireland. One interesting thing that most, including myself, don't think about with Europe is how freaking far north they are. Gibraltar on the far southern tip of Spain is pretty well lined up with maybe Nashville. Dublin is further north than Edmonton. However, thanks to being on the coast their summers aren't very hot and their winters aren't very cold. They had a freak winter last year where Dublin got snow. But the weather is always always always crap. 50's with light rain is good riding weather there. Yuck! He makes me happy to live where I do because I'll be riding tomorrow and it'll be nippy in the morning at 50F but 76F and sunny in the afternoon. I'll think of all the poor bikes on battery tenders tomorrow.
My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
Son's Bike:2019 Honda CRF250L

I'm here to serve as an example of what NOT to do.
bungie4
I post more than I ride

Post by bungie4 »

gixxerjasen wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:44 pm I chat regularly with a coworker who rides that lives in Dublin Ireland. One interesting thing that most, including myself, don't think about with Europe is how freaking far north they are. Gibraltar on the far southern tip of Spain is pretty well lined up with maybe Nashville. Dublin is further north than Edmonton.
Interesting tidbit. JohnD's neck of the woods, is actually below the North California state line - what a difference 300 miles makes. As much as I hate this armpit town, its still about even with Ottawa as far as latitude goes. Their a bunch of major cities that are farther north than this burg.

I saw a job listing in Sarnia... <rubs chin> 1 minute from the border... 5 hours from SEO.... <schwing!>
El Toro Joe loved this
WWPD.
#SnowMexican
Choo choo mf'r.
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

bungie4 wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:58 am
gixxerjasen wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:44 pm I chat regularly with a coworker who rides that lives in Dublin Ireland. One interesting thing that most, including myself, don't think about with Europe is how freaking far north they are. Gibraltar on the far southern tip of Spain is pretty well lined up with maybe Nashville. Dublin is further north than Edmonton.
Interesting tidbit. JohnD's neck of the woods, is actually below the North California state line - what a difference 300 miles makes. As much as I hate this armpit town, its still about even with Ottawa as far as latitude goes. Their a bunch of major cities that are farther north than this burg.

I saw a job listing in Sarnia... <rubs chin> 1 minute from the border... 5 hours from SEO.... <schwing!>
Shoot. If yer gonna move away from her family...don't go halfway, go all the way. I will welcome you to the south...even if others grumble.
gixxerjasen loved this
BkerChuck
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 FJR1300A

Post by BkerChuck »

I saw an unusually high number of bikes out yesterday in my neck of the wood and realized it was likely the last ride of the year for many of those folks. I'd be willing to bet the vast majority were stopping and filling up on the way home to add sta-bil or seafoam to their tanks then plug in battery tenders and say goodbye to them until Spring. I have to laugh because finally at this time of year the pirates finally start waving at me on my FJR where the rest of the year they tend to ignore me. My ride in this morning sucked, 46 degrees in a steady rain but I try to ride year round. Shade over 22k so far this year on the FJR.
CraigRegs loved this
ImageImageImage

IBA #50866
CollingsBob
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2024 BMW R1300 GS

Post by CollingsBob »

I got a little more than 17,000km’s this year, not bad for 5 months of riding. Battery Tend’r is hooked up, seafoam in the tank, tires anointed with the sweat from a virgin to ward off the evil spirits. Side note..I had to travel nearly 1500km’s to find a virgin.
New Klim Latitude jacket arrived 1 week before I put the bike away, dealer checking on availability of Klim Latitude pants....I told my wife that I simply couldn’t ride my bike in 10 year old gear
Geezer
Veteran
FJRModel: 2005

Post by Geezer »

I don't winterize until the snow comes and the roads are salted. Once that happens I put my motorcycles and summer car in the garage until after the first good rain in spring washes the salt off the roads. They use so much salt on the roads around here that it doesn't take long to ruin a vehicle.
Steel_Gin and wheatonFJR loved this
My wife asked me why I speak so softly around the house. I said that I was worried that someone was listening. She laughed, I laughed, Alexa laughed.
Harald
FJRModel: 2020 FJR1300ES

Post by Harald »

gixxerjasen wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:44 pm I chat regularly with a coworker who rides that lives in Dublin Ireland. However, thanks to being on the coast their summers aren't very hot and their winters aren't very cold.
The coastal influence is key to year 'round riding. We have that affect here in the Seattle/Tacoma area and as long as you don't mind a little rain you can ride virtually all year long. I don't know how many miles I ride each year, but 136,000 miles divided by 11 years on my 07 FJR equals an average of a little over 1000 miles each month.
bungie4
I post more than I ride

Post by bungie4 »

wheatonFJR wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:25 am
bungie4 wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:58 am

Shoot. If yer gonna move away from her family...don't go halfway, go all the way. I will welcome you to the south...even if others grumble.
I need to be a refugee or claim political asylum to get in. Normal working people with in-demand skills are now persona non-grata in the United States.

Doesn't mean i can't can't spend 6m less a day down there. I'm thinking Winters in Arizona sound good.
wheatonFJR loved this
WWPD.
#SnowMexican
Choo choo mf'r.
bungie4
I post more than I ride

Post by bungie4 »

Geezer wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:04 am I don't winterize until the snow comes and the roads are salted. Once that happens I put my motorcycles and summer car in the garage until after the first good rain in spring washes the salt off the roads. They use so much salt on the roads around here that it doesn't take long to ruin a vehicle.
Exactly the same on both thoughts up here. Plus running your vehicles at -30 is really hard on them.

Heh hehe heh, i said hard on.
WWPD.
#SnowMexican
Choo choo mf'r.