The Dunlop Road Smart III compared to Michelin PR2/PR4GT Dilemma

Talk about issues and questions specific to the FJR here.
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Re: The Dunlop Road Smart III compared to Michelin PR2/PR4GT Dilemma

Post by Hppants »

Me too. I've got a set of RS3's in the shop - they are the next contestants on the red roller coaster. We'll see how they fare.....
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

Cav47
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015 ES well appointed FJR
2012 KLX 250S
2022 Honda CRF450RL

Post by Cav47 »

I have almost 9K on my RS3s. They are due to be changed, but I have been busy. I feel a tire shopping internet foray coming this week.
I often have found myself when I was not looking, nor did that discovery take place where I thought it would!

Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by Hppants »

So I mounted the RS3s on my bike about 1100 miles ago. On dry, they seem to handle very well. Not quite as good in the wet as the PR4, but I'm not an aggressive rider in the wet so it's not that big of a deal. The front tire walks a little on the slab at high speeds -85 mph and higher. It's not really bad, but you can tell.

Overall, I like the tire enough to see if the cost per mile works out in my favor. We'll see.
bill lumberg loved this
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."

fontanaman
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2017 FJR, 2017 DR650

Post by fontanaman »

Prices on PR4 GT's, my preferred tire, are eye watering these days. Road Smart IV are prices in the same stratosphere. I found set of Road Smart 3's for about $250 for the saving about $120 on the PR4 GT or RS4.

It was about 101° in Spokane yesterday making it the perfect time to mount the stiff walled RS3s. I tossed the tire on the driveway and let it bake three hours or so while I did other chores. The trick to mounting these tires is heat, lubrication and technique. Mounting my own tires for about 11 years now I have the learned the technique - it likely took me longer than most.

I lubed the rim and grabbed the hot tire and got the first half mounted. The tire was so hot I almost needed gloves. I planted the NoMar helping hand tool in the proper location, installed the mount at the 7 to 8 o'clock location, lubed the inside of the tire and started to push the bar with my hip. Every so often I took a break pushing the tire into the valley. In about 10 minutes it looked like this. Nice wrinkles, eh?

I have been getting about 6500 miles out of the PR4 GT's. I got about the same on the RS3 last time I used those.
N4HHE, El Toro Joe, Hppants and 1 others loved this
BkerChuck
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 FJR1300A

Post by BkerChuck »

Some of you guys must ride WAY more aggressively than me or your roads are a lot more abrasive to tires. Current PR4GTs on my bike are at 12,400 miles and are just starting to be at the wear indicators. Changing them out this weekend because I have a trip coming up or else I likely would have commuted on them for a couple more weeks.
D-Eagle and FJRPittsburgh loved this
ImageImageImage

IBA #50866
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by Hppants »

Well - I smoked a B023 front in North Georgia in 2100 miles. Lol.

I get 5500- 6000 out of a RS3 rear, a little more from the front.

El Toro Joe
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016ES

Post by El Toro Joe »

Hppants wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 7:37 am Well - I smoked a B023 front in North Georgia in 2100 miles. Lol.

Damn Hooligan...
Hppants, Niehart, and blind squirrel loved this
"RIP Beemerdons", "RIP Petey", "RIP JWilly", "RIP 1911"
fontanaman
Contributor
Veteran

Post by fontanaman »

I was nice to the most recent dead and departed PR4 GT. Road them to Hyder Alaska on smooth asphalt on mostly straight roads. Where my tires get chewed up is on the rough cheap seal roads I ride near home.
BkerChuck and wheatonFJR loved this
BkerChuck
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 FJR1300A

Post by BkerChuck »

fontanaman wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:46 am I was nice to the most recent dead and departed PR4 GT. Road them to Hyder Alaska on smooth asphalt on mostly straight roads. Where my tires get chewed up is on the rough cheap seal roads I ride near home.
They just did a "oil and chip" repair on the road I use to get to work everyday. Just did it yesterday afternoon in fact. That shit should not even be permitted in my opinion. I can see where you would chew up tires faster if that was your normal ride. I left early this morning just so I could take a different route and avoid it. I'll likely do that for the next 2 weeks until that road gets run in a little bit. When I left yesterday I actually slid the rear end a little because they had so much loose stone laid down.
ImageImageImage

IBA #50866
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

BkerChuck wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 2:15 pm
fontanaman wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:46 am I was nice to the most recent dead and departed PR4 GT. Road them to Hyder Alaska on smooth asphalt on mostly straight roads. Where my tires get chewed up is on the rough cheap seal roads I ride near home.
They just did a "oil and chip" repair on the road I use to get to work everyday. Just did it yesterday afternoon in fact. That shit should not even be permitted in my opinion. I can see where you would chew up tires faster if that was your normal ride. I left early this morning just so I could take a different route and avoid it. I'll likely do that for the next 2 weeks until that road gets run in a little bit. When I left yesterday I actually slid the rear end a little because they had so much loose stone laid down.
Oil and chip, or chip seal application varies widely between various states. Rarely any are good. Arkansas is multitudes better than Indiana with regards to motorcycle safety.
SkooterG loved this
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
N4HHE
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016

Post by N4HHE »

fontanaman wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 11:47 pm I lubed the rim and grabbed the hot tire and got the first half mounted. The tire was so hot I almost needed gloves. I planted the NoMar helping hand tool in the proper location, installed the mount at the 7 to 8 o'clock location, lubed the inside of the tire and started to push the bar with my hip. Every so often I took a break pushing the tire into the valley. In about 10 minutes it looked like this. Nice wrinkles, eh?
I have never had success with the No-Mar mounting tool. The dismount end works great. I use the No-Mar spoons, now have 4. And a number of 1x2 wooden blocks about 3" long.

With plenty of Ruglyde the first half goes on easy, often by hand. Hold the near side bead in the rim's drop center with my hip while pushing the other side over the rim. A minor problem with Ruglyde is how it evaporates quickly.

Then for the top bead the first half goes on by hand. Then use a couple wooden blocks on the bottom to hold the first bead up in the drop center, and wooden blocks on the top bead to hold it in (actually just near) the drop center, while pressing the tire into the rim with my hip. Underneath I set the wooden blocks on the 2 fingers which are holding the rim. Lube the spoons and another fresh layer of lube under the tire bead yet to be mounted. Then lever the rest over the rim. Be careful because the No-Mar spoons can cut the tire bead. I have used a grinder on mine to round the top sharp edges above the Delrin pad on the bottom.

I can usually mount a PR4 with no tools. Use hands to squeeze the near side beads into the drop center then hold that with my hip, while working my way around the rim with hands pressing the top bead over and holding the bottom bead up. And everything wet with Ruglyde.
fontanaman
Contributor
Veteran

Post by fontanaman »

BkerChuck wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 2:15 pm
Hi BkerChuck. I would have got more out about 1,000 more miles (about 7500 miles total) out of the PR4 GT's I just dismounted but I experimented with front tire pressure running it at 36 for about 3000 miles. I liked the feel but measurements told me mileage was suffering.

This year I have slowed down a bit. Not that I was ever a fast rider, most of the time anyhow, but I have slowed down. The risk reward quotient was getting skewed and at 67 I don't bend as well as I used to. A fall could leave me really messed up for a good part of the remainder of my years and that just isn't fair to my wife. We have plans and I could really mess them up. So I slowed down, avoid deer infested areas and crowded 4 lane highways with traffic lights to the extend possible. The majority of motorcycle accidents involve just the motorcyclist so slowing down to avoid loss of control makes sense as does avoiding deer zones and urban traffic which is all pretty easy here in Spokane Washington.

To demonstrate how I ride I put the bike in touring mode just to avoid throttle movement on bad pavement. I forgot to put it back in sport mode and was amazed at the increased fuel economy as I putted around on the back roads in SE Washington State, rarely exceeding 70mph. In sport mode my 2017 FJR was getting 50.1 mph based on three years of data. In tour mode my fuel economy jumped to 53.34 based on 11 data points an increase of 6.46%. With fuel prices in Washington State at about 4.67/gallon I am saving 30 cents/gallon. I'll take it! (With the cap and trade policy adapted by Washington fuel prices have gone up 50 cent/gallon to put us even with Kalifornia on gas prices.)

Despite all this my FJR trashes tires and I can only blame the cheap seal road surfaces. I can't imagine what else it could be as I ride like the grandpa I am. :D Have a great day!
Last edited by fontanaman on Wed Aug 16, 2023 7:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mi_pjk, BkerChuck, wheatonFJR and 1 others loved this
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

Mentioning the PR4 prompted me to check my local source for tire pricing on a 150/70R17 rear..... surprisingly, the PR4 rear is priced very similar to T32, Angel GT, Metzeler 01...... Road 6 and Avon Spirit ST are $40 more. I found that rather interesting.
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
danh600
Veteran
FJRModel: 2022 FJR1300ES

Post by danh600 »

Hppants wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 7:37 am Well - I smoked a B023 front in North Georgia in 2100 miles. Lol.

I was there to see that front tire die it's last breaths. My rear tire was not far behind. The BT023s that came on my bike are done. I of course got more than 2100 :lol: So at 6200 my rear tire is done! Down to the wear bars and more but using more center than sides of the tire I figure there is very little rubber left right in the center line. Surprisingly the front has a little life, not all the way down to the wear bars.

However I have another trip to the mountains in 10 days. So they are both getting replaced. I hate being on a trip and worrying if my tires are going to make it. I have other things to needlessly worry about. :lol:

Before I would just put on some PR4GTs and be done with it. Then I tried R5s on the MT09. I liked them a lot. Tried R6GTs on my 2013FJR before I sold it and liked them a lot!

If money was no concern I would get another set of R6GTs. I know those and like them.

Now, it's crazy the price of michelin tires. A set of R6GTS is nearly double a set of RSIIIs. Double :shock:

People that ride much faster than me make RSIIIs work. So I am thinking of going that way.

We shall see. I am sitting at the computer waiting for Motorcycle shops to open so I can start shopping.

But as Mr. Pants likes to say. "Wearing out motorcycle tires is not a bad thing."
fontanaman, El Toro Joe, and wheatonFJR loved this
Festus
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2013 FJR, 2023 KTM 390 Adventure

Post by Festus »

You might have a hard time finding a full set of RS3's. I just went through that exercise. Ended up with RS4's because I couldn't find full sets of anything else.
danh600 loved this
"That wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be" - 1911

"Stay thirsty, my friends"....... Wouldn't that mean I'm dehydrated all the time?
danh600
Veteran

Post by danh600 »

Festus wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:54 am You might have a hard time finding a full set of RS3's. I just went through that exercise. Ended up with RS4's because I couldn't find full sets of anything else.
I have some rides coming up, so I am flexible. I will take any decent tires available. I am not canceling my trips even if I have to buy a more expensive tire. I know the R6GTs will last me.

A quick search online shows some tires available. However, my experiance with MC shops is they like to sell the tires. The ones I have delt with in the past charge you a punitive install fee if you don't buy them there. I am always surprised so many guys on here buy tires online and get them installed locally. That has never worked for me. Edit to say I found a shade tree guy who would like you to buy them online and he would install them for $25 cash. However, he is in S FL.

There is a Ride Now dealership that does free installs. The one we used in FL had decent prices and free install. Not sure about this one. I am waiting for a return call from them.
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by Hppants »

Amazon has RS3s from several vendors - free delivery no later than 8/21
Festus loved this

danh600
Veteran

Post by danh600 »

Found a set of RSIII in stock to be installed Saturday morning. $327 out the door.

He didn't have R6GTs.

I called several places.

Place 1. Now one answered the phone. No way to leave a message.
Place 2. Tire machine was broke
Place 3. Only dealt in sport bike tires. Didn't seem interested in selling me a S/T tire, only a sport bike tire.
Place 4 . Leaving on vaction for 3 weeks
Place 5 . List price plus 1 hour labor on each tire.
Place 6 . Competitive price and "free" install.
Festus
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2013 FJR, 2023 KTM 390 Adventure

Post by Festus »

Hppants wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:58 am Amazon has RS3s from several vendors - free delivery no later than 8/21
Interesting, they were out of stock on the fronts, showing October delivery. Inventory is dynamic so what's out of stock today could be in stock tomorrow.

R6GT's aren't needed for the FJR unless you ride 2 up. Exact same rubber compound on the R6 and the R6GT. That conversation came from the people at the Michelin tent.
"That wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be" - 1911

"Stay thirsty, my friends"....... Wouldn't that mean I'm dehydrated all the time?
danh600
Veteran

Post by danh600 »

Festus wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:47 am
R6GT's aren't needed for the FJR unless you ride 2 up. Exact same rubber compound on the R6 and the R6GT. That conversation came from the people at the Michelin tent.
I never ran the R6, only R6GT. So no idea if you get more or less miles on the GT verse non GT.

However on the PR4s the GT version paid for themselves. No hard data, but I felt like I got at least 10% more mileage out of the GT version. Maybe the stiff side walls mitigated some heat? More miles and less tire changes were worth the little extra you paid. I noticed no difference in performance.

As for 2up. My wife and I have over probably a 100,000 miles riding together. Only 3 of those were 2up. :lol: