What did you do to your FJR today?

Talk about issues and questions specific to the FJR here.
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Re: What did you do to your FJR today?

Post by raYzerman »

I carry the heated jacket liner all the time. Olympia Dakar jacket (mesh), wear the liner in if it's cooler (70 or less) as a breathable layer, plug in and turn on as necessary, if it gets cold wear the Olympia wind-blocking liner, or if really really cold, put on the rain jacket as it is larger and blocks more. 4 season strategy that saves luggage space.
I have heated gloves and pant liner also, optional packing based on weather predictions for a trip.
BkerChuck, El Toro Joe, and wheatonFJR loved this
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
Uncle Hud
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015 ES, with new fairings!

Post by Uncle Hud »

Promised her that she'd be all put back together by Saturday night. Drilling a hole in the left fairing for aux light "volume knob", and drilling a hole in the right fairing for front heated seat on/off switch. On Tuesday, the shop will change out original headlamps to LED bulbs, and I'll pick up the windshield bolt cover that I broke a few years ago.

Now I know: serious moto-maintenance is not my thing. Maybe oil and tire changes ...
*** You can't get into trouble in second gear. ***
IBA 62517
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

For me, the dampness, wind conditions, and whether the sunshine make all the difference. I've used the heated liner in temps as high as the low 50s, and not used in temps as low as the lower 40s.

If going up into higher elevations, I NEVER leave the State without the heated jacket liner, no matter what time of year.

One thing is undeniable - when I'm cold riding the motorcycle, the only thing that works better than the heated jacket liner is a hot shower.
wheatonFJR and BkerChuck loved this
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

bigjohnsd
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021 BMW R1250GSA "Gray Ghost II"

Post by bigjohnsd »

Hppants wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:21 am For me, the dampness, wind conditions, and whether the sunshine make all the difference. I've used the heated liner in temps as high as the low 50s, and not used in temps as low as the lower 40s.

If going up into higher elevations, I NEVER leave the State without the heated jacket liner, no matter what time of year.

One thing is undeniable - when I'm cold riding the motorcycle, the only thing that works better than the heated jacket liner is a hot shower.
Hot Tub even better
Hppants loved this
"The only Dumb Question is the unasked Question " - Anonymous
Eat every Sandwich like it is your last!
bigjohnsd
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by bigjohnsd »

escapefjrtist wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:46 pm
danh600 wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:41 pm You guys that ride in the cold. At what temperature do most of you start adding heated gear?
Short rides, say less than two hours, I'll go out in the low 40s w/o heated gear. If I'm planning to be out all day with temps below 50ish, then the heated jacket goes on, plugged in and ready. FJR has better wind protection than Tenere so bike choice also dictates when the heaters come out.

~G
What George says, however Freya's superior wind protection really helps. My mid-layer below 55F is always my heated Jacket. If I put the Jacket on I always plug it in. Don't always turn it on but am always ready.

I have electric gloves and electric pants but rarely if ever use them.
danh600
Veteran
FJRModel: 2022 FJR1300ES

Post by danh600 »

Some good posts on heated gear. I hope to live where I need it one day!!

Any of you guys just throw your rain jacket or pants on for warmth? I am thinking that olympia rain jacket might be a good addition to the mesh jacket and layers I use on a cool day.

Almost all the riding I do down here is above the temps you guys turn your heated gear on. So until I make a life change I don't think I need any.
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

Dan, anything that cuts the wind and adds another insulating air pocket is good for warmth.
Uncle Hud and danh600 loved this
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
Blueridgerider
FJRModel: 2016 FJR1300A

Post by Blueridgerider »

I enjoy riding in the cooler/colder temps. Like most of us I always gear up and its a great feeling being protected without sweating. Its nice when all your gear is keeping you comfortable on the brisk days. I would rather ride in the winter geared up then in the hot humid months.

I recently bought a couple things I really like to help keep me warm. I already own a Gerbing jacket liner and gloves but bought the wireless controller which is great. My 2016 has heated grips so I rarely use the Gerbing gloves but I have a Z900 without heated anything so I purchased a set of heated glove liners from Cycle Gear and love them. They are hard wired and have no controls, stay a constant temp, and keep your hands toasty warm. A key is having a good glove that fits over them properly. I find with these you do not need a big winter glove just some nice leather flexible glove that fits easily over the liners. Beats a big ole bulky ski type glove. You have a couple wires to deal with like most all heated gear but it was money well spent for me on that bike.

So for anyone who does not have heated grips on the FJR check these out. Here is the link. Now if it would only stop raining in the Southeast I could get out and enjoy the crisp fresh air.

https://www.cyclegear.com/gear/hotwired ... ove-liners
2016 FJR1300A Traxxionized
2017 Kawasaki Z900
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

Blueridgerider wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:56 pm I enjoy riding in the cooler/colder temps. Like most of us I always gear up and its a great feeling being protected without sweating. Its nice when all your gear is keeping you comfortable on the brisk days. I would rather ride in the winter geared up then in the hot humid months.

I recently bought a couple things I really like to help keep me warm. I already own a Gerbing jacket liner and gloves but bought the wireless controller which is great. My 2016 has heated grips so I rarely use the Gerbing gloves but I have a Z900 without heated anything so I purchased a set of heated glove liners from Cycle Gear and love them. They are hard wired and have no controls, stay a constant temp, and keep your hands toasty warm. A key is having a good glove that fits over them properly. I find with these you do not need a big winter glove just some nice leather flexible glove that fits easily over the liners. Beats a big ole bulky ski type glove. You have a couple wires to deal with like most all heated gear but it was money well spent for me on that bike.

So for anyone who does not have heated grips on the FJR check these out. Here is the link. Now if it would only stop raining in the Southeast I could get out and enjoy the crisp fresh air.

I need controls on my glove liner, because unlike you, my hands can get really cold on a mid 30s and rainy all day ride.

here is a recent comparison of warm n safe vs hotwired glove liners
Blueridgerider

Post by Blueridgerider »

wheatonFJR wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:07 pm
Blueridgerider wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:56 pm I enjoy riding in the cooler/colder temps. Like most of us I always gear up and its a great feeling being protected without sweating. Its nice when all your gear is keeping you comfortable on the brisk days. I would rather ride in the winter geared up then in the hot humid months.

I need controls on my glove liner, because unlike you, my hands can get really cold on a mid 30s and rainy all day ride.

here is a recent comparison of warm n safe vs hotwired glove liners
Believe me my hands get cold just like anyone else's would at those temps :shock: I was not aware of warm n safe liners as I picked these up quickly to ride my Z900 with a friend in about 50 degree temps for 2 days. On that bike with zero wind protection I get cold after a few hours out there even at 50. These liners did the trick so I recommended them.

If I was riding anywhere in the 30's I would never ride the Z. It would be good if I was doing an experiment to see how fast the human body becomes frozen solid but other than that it would be the FJR with the Gerbing liner and gloves cooking to keep me toasty.
2017 Kawasaki Z900
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

A LONG time ago I rode from OK City on my 850 Yamaha Special to Sherman, Texas at Thanksgiving to see my Uncle and Aunt. When I left work Wednesday evening it was snow flurrying and 29 degrees. I was cold by the time I was on the south side of OKC. The answer to your question is..."A LOT sooner than you think". Coldest ride ever for me. But maybe being 20, stupid, no gloves, open face helmet, leather jacket (But it had an insulated liner!), jeans, work boots with wet cotton socks coming right from work....had something to do with it.
Blueridgerider loved this
danh600
Veteran

Post by danh600 »

wheatonFJR wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:42 pm Dan, anything that cuts the wind and adds another insulating air pocket is good for warmth.
That is what I was thinking. My mesh gear has liners that cut the wind, but they are a pain to install. I think next cold ride I am just going to layer up, put on the mesh, then throw on the rain jacket if I need more. Plus, it almost always warms up quickly here. So I find the wind breaker type liners need to come out of the mesh gear by noon.
Blueridgerider loved this
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

danh600 wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:21 pm
wheatonFJR wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:42 pm Dan, anything that cuts the wind and adds another insulating air pocket is good for warmth.
That is what I was thinking. My mesh gear has liners that cut the wind, but they are a pain to install. I think next cold ride I am just going to layer up, put on the mesh, then throw on the rain jacket if I need more. Plus, it almost always warms up quickly here. So I find the wind breaker type liners need to come out of the mesh gear by noon.
The latest version of rain liners on my Oly Mesh has a liner that is EITHER inside or outside. Very convenient on a day ride to put it on first thing, then unzip it as the day wears on.
Blueridgerider

Post by Blueridgerider »

danh600 wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:21 pm
If I find myself in a situation where I need to take the chill off fast like when you get up in the mountains with mesh and the temp really drops etc. I throw on my Frogg Toggs jacket. It is an amazing light weight wind beaker as anyone who owns one knows. Like you stated, it sure is easier than dealing with liners.
2017 Kawasaki Z900
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Post by gixxerjasen »

I have heated socks, but I've never used them.

My worst cold ride ever was in the spring on my Suzuki TLR riding out to Alabama for the AMA races. It was around 80F on my way over. Cold front moved through during the weekend that I hadn't planned on. When I went to leave to ride home there was frost on my bike and cloudy so no sun. I had the gear of a somewhat new rider, leather jacket, gloves and helmet. I went back into the hotel and put on all my dirty t-shirts and an extra pair of blue jeans. I found out dangerously that you will only convulsively shiver for just so long before your body gives up on shivering. It took about 3.5 hours and somewhere around Jackson Mississippi before I stopped being uncomfortably cold. Never again.
My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
Son's Bike:2019 Honda CRF250L

I'm here to serve as an example of what NOT to do.
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by raYzerman »

Liners.... what's this "install" thing... I never install them, I just wear them and take them off when needed.... at least with Olympia. Frogg Toggs jackets are great, no sweating!
Wind chill and wet is what gets your hands... helps to have deflectors or Barkbusters or ?? even smaller dirt bike ones.... anything better than nothing.
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by raYzerman »

wheatonFJR wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:10 pm A LONG time ago I rode from OK City on my 850 Yamaha Special to Sherman, Texas at Thanksgiving to see my Uncle and Aunt. When I left work Wednesday evening it was snow flurrying and 29 degrees. I was cold by the time I was on the south side of OKC. The answer to your question is..."A LOT sooner than you think". Coldest ride ever for me. But maybe being 20, stupid, no gloves, open face helmet, leather jacket (But it had an insulated liner!), jeans, work boots with wet cotton socks coming right from work....had something to do with it.
HA, that's back when you were stubborn and tough, now you're just a "rain pussy" from what see on your sig line.
wheatonFJR loved this
danh600
Veteran

Post by danh600 »

raYzerman wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:34 pm Liners.... what's this "install" thing... I never install them, I just wear them and take them off when needed.... at least with Olympia. Frogg Toggs jackets are great, no sweating!
Wind chill and wet is what gets your hands... helps to have deflectors or Barkbusters or ?? even smaller dirt bike ones.... anything better than nothing.
Ha guess install was not the proper word.

I just hate dealing with all those internal zippers and snaps when wearing liners under your mesh.

What's even better is bringing the wrong liner to the jacket like I did at SFO. Water just came right on in.
bigjohnsd
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by bigjohnsd »

danh600 wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:22 pm Some good posts on heated gear. I hope to live where I need it one day!!

Any of you guys just throw your rain jacket or pants on for warmth? I am thinking that Olympia rain jacket might be a good addition to the mesh jacket and layers I use on a cool day.

Almost all the riding I do down here is above the temps you guys turn your heated gear on. So until I make a life change I don't think I need any.
Dan the Klim Latitude breaks the wind, keeps the water out and vents well enough on hot days that I don't need "rain gear",
I'm always wearing mine.
CollingsBob and danh600 loved this
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Post by gixxerjasen »

danh600 wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:15 pm I just hate dealing with all those internal zippers and snaps when wearing liners under your mesh.
Half the time I don't even zip them in. Just put them on and put the jacket on over them. Usually that happens when I will be taking the liners off later in the day. If it's going to be cold all day then I'll go to the trouble of zipping them in.
bigjohnsd wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:21 pm Dan the Klim Latitude breaks the wind, keeps the water out and vents well enough on hot days that I don't need "rain gear",
I'm always wearing mine.
Also excellent at wicking all the money out of your wallet. :D
wheatonFJR loved this
My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
Son's Bike:2019 Honda CRF250L

I'm here to serve as an example of what NOT to do.