What did you do to your FJR today?

Talk about issues and questions specific to the FJR here.
Blueridgerider
FJRModel: 2016 FJR1300A

Re: What did you do to your FJR today?

Post by Blueridgerider »

wheatonFJR wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:18 pm
Cav47 wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:09 pm The first picture in your last post...... I cannot see how I would not have to vote for that in the Calendar contest if it were to be included. That one particularly speaks to me. The others are good, but that one is great.
If that picture was taken at Jones Gap State Park, that is 20 minutes from home. Nice hiking around there, too. Either easy trails for guys like me, or adventurous trails for people that don't mind the chance to cheat death.
Yes it was taken at Jones Gap State Park. It is also about the same distance from my home. I knew the water would be running hard from all the rain and wanted not only to take the ride (which as you know is nice in itself) but also to to get a repeat of that photo I took last year. Interesting park as I spoke with the Ranger there and she said it was open year round and that people also camp there all year as well. I asked even with the flooding rains we have had? She shook her head and said its amazing that there are remote camp sites a pretty good hike away from the man cabin and people tent camp up there in all types of bad weather. All I could do is shake my head in disbelief as well.
wheatonFJR loved this
2016 FJR1300A Traxxionized
2017 Kawasaki Z900
Blueridgerider

Post by Blueridgerider »

Cav47 wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:09 pm The first picture in your last post...... I cannot see how I would not have to vote for that in the Calendar contest if it were to be included. That one particularly speaks to me. The others are good, but that one is great.

Thanks for sharing. I am cold and wet up here for the time being. Just biding my time until the weather breaks or I head south over Spring Break.
Thanks Cav! I appreciate that. As I just mentioned to Wheaton, I went back to the park to get the same photo I submitted to the calendar contest last year as we had flooding rains and I knew the water would be running hard which it was. I probably will submit the photo again this year with the better backdrop as it did not get chosen for last years calendar. I believe each participant could post 2 pictures for the contest and only one could be chosen. One of my 2 was chosen which was very nice and was voted higher than this shot. Here is last years photo compared to this years showing the much mightier running water. You can definitely see the difference in the rock visibility. Thanks again!

Cav47 loved this
2017 Kawasaki Z900
Uncle Hud
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015 ES, with new fairings!

Post by Uncle Hud »

I voted for that photo, BRR. Beautifully captures the flavor of southern Appalachian woodlands. You're also on a wooden bridge with NO GUARDRAIL, you fearless rider!

Old photo is obviously taken in summer, with leafed-out vegetation and low stream flow.
*** You can't get into trouble in second gear. ***
IBA 62517
Blueridgerider

Post by Blueridgerider »

Uncle Hud wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:59 pm I voted for that photo, BRR. Beautifully captures the flavor of southern Appalachian woodlands. You're also on a wooden bridge with NO GUARDRAIL, you fearless rider!

Old photo is obviously taken in summer, with leafed-out vegetation and low stream flow.
Thanks Uncle Hud!! I appreciate it and your vote :lol: The top photo was taken in June 2019 and the other this past Monday. Definitely a big difference in foliage which I believe makes the June photo nicer even though the water was running higher this week.
2017 Kawasaki Z900
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

Blueridgerider wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:20 pm
Uncle Hud wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:59 pm I voted for that photo, BRR. Beautifully captures the flavor of southern Appalachian woodlands. You're also on a wooden bridge with NO GUARDRAIL, you fearless rider!

Thanks Uncle Hud!! I appreciate it and your vote :lol: The top photo was taken in June 2019 and the other this past Monday. Definitely a big difference in foliage which I believe makes the June photo nicer even though the water was running higher this week.
Just a note, but not a requirement...photos look SO MUCH BETTER when it has been taken a thousand miles from home, not 20 minutes. ;-)
Blueridgerider loved this
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
Blueridgerider

Post by Blueridgerider »

Man somebody stop me!! I know I have been a posting a lot here the past couple days. With the lousy weather I am spending some indoor time instead of riding going through photos, making videos of recent rides etc. It all involves motorcycling and is all part of the fun and excitement of it right?

A couple of thread pages ago I put out some information on the PIAA Horns and mentioned a friend who rides a Wing and how he likes to blast his loud a$$ horn in the tunnels of the BRP. I do not know why, I guess its like revving the engine in there to make noise. When I had the Wing I did it if there no cars around as the last thing you want to do is startle some 80 year old leaf peeper in the tunnel:shock: Anyway the first time with him and in a tunnel on the FJR he starts honking. I hit my horn and it was OH Sh&T now tha'ts embarrassing :oops: I said to myself that I have to get a better horn. Here we have a high performance motorcycle with a bicycle horn. So I purchased the PIAA's and hit the Parkway this week looking forward to trying them out. Found a nice long tunnel to give them a good workout too. Man they exceeded my expectations, were not expensive, and were easy to install. Here is a quick video to give anyone interested an idea of what they sound like. Looking forward to my next BRP ride with my Wing buddy. Honk away dude!

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-g8P ... B-1280.mp4
Uncle Hud, bill lumberg, and wheatonFJR loved this
2017 Kawasaki Z900
El Toro Joe
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016ES

Post by El Toro Joe »

ok...now stop it.
"RIP Beemerdons", "RIP Petey", "RIP JWilly", "RIP 1911"
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Post by gixxerjasen »

wheatonFJR wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:22 pm

Just a note, but not a requirement...photos look SO MUCH BETTER when it has been taken a thousand miles from home, not 20 minutes. ;-)
His photo is a thousand miles from MY home, so yes, you are right, it does look amazing.
Uncle Hud, Hppants, and Blueridgerider loved this
My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
Son's Bike:2019 Honda CRF250L

I'm here to serve as an example of what NOT to do.
Blueridgerider

Post by Blueridgerider »

El Toro Joe wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:59 pm ok...now stop it.
Nice, appreciate it. I guess if I lived in Ohio I would have a shitty attitude as well.
wheatonFJR and gixxerjasen loved this
2017 Kawasaki Z900
Blueridgerider

Post by Blueridgerider »

Maybe one day I can ride out west, photograph, and enjoy that. Not easy to do but a bucket list sort of thing. Fly and Ride is always a possibility. I just read a great book from Neil Peart the late Rush drummer who passed away recently. He rode his BMW 55K all over the country and Mexico as a way of dealing with the loss of his family. Its called GhostRider. Great book that describes his adventures and how he dealt with tremendous tragedy. Motorcycling was his therapy. He also used to ride his motorcycle with a best friend between Rush concerts. Amazing man who certainly was taken way too early.
Hppants loved this
2017 Kawasaki Z900
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Post by gixxerjasen »

Blueridgerider wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:32 pm I just read a great book from Neil Peart the late Rush drummer who passed away recently. He rode his BMW 55K all over the country and Mexico as a way of dealing with the loss of his family. Its called GhostRider. Great book that describes his adventures and how he dealt with tremendous tragedy. Motorcycling was his therapy. He also used to ride his motorcycle with a best friend between Rush concerts. Amazing man who certainly was taken way too early.
I liked GhostRider but found "Roadshow: Landscape with Drums" to be a little disappointing and never finished it.
Blueridgerider loved this
My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
Son's Bike:2019 Honda CRF250L

I'm here to serve as an example of what NOT to do.
Blueridgerider

Post by Blueridgerider »

gixxerjasen wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:59 pm
Blueridgerider wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:32 pm I just read a great book from Neil Peart the late Rush drummer who passed away recently. He rode his BMW 55K all over the country and Mexico as a way of dealing with the loss of his family. Its called GhostRider. Great book that describes his adventures and how he dealt with tremendous tragedy. Motorcycling was his therapy. He also used to ride his motorcycle with a best friend between Rush concerts. Amazing man who certainly was taken way too early.
I liked GhostRider but found "Roadshow: Landscape with Drums" to be a little disappointing and never finished it.
Thanks for your feedback, I will pass on that as well. Just hard to believe all he went through and over came to finally find happiness then to have it all taken away especially in that way. Given the way he described what led to his wife's death it just leaves me with a feeling that maybe he always suffered deeply and never did fully recover ( how can you really) which might have led him down the same path that took his wife which ultimately brings him back to them in the end. Quite the story and very sad for sure.
2017 Kawasaki Z900
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

Blueridgerider wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:32 pm

Maybe one day I can ride out west, photograph, and enjoy that. Not easy to do but a bucket list sort of thing. Fly and Ride is always a possibility. I just read a great book from Neil Peart the late Rush drummer who passed away recently. He rode his BMW 55K all over the country and Mexico as a way of dealing with the loss of his family. Its called GhostRider. Great book that describes his adventures and how he dealt with tremendous tragedy. Motorcycling was his therapy. He also used to ride his motorcycle with a best friend between Rush concerts. Amazing man who certainly was taken way too early.
Taking the big trip this summer. Red Lodge and beyond. I was 44 when I first bought an FJR. I will be 61 when traveling this summer. My mom died when she was 68. Get those trips in before the FJR gets too heavy for me on off camber roads.
CollingsBob, danh600, Blueridgerider and 6 others loved this
El Toro Joe
Contributor
Veteran

Post by El Toro Joe »

Blueridgerider wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:15 pm
Nice, appreciate it. I guess if I lived in Ohio I would have a shitty attitude as well.
:o Wait...did you not ask for someone to stop you? just trying to help a brother out ;)

I'll be riding this weekend.

...and I've got a great attitude, considering where I live
Uncle Hud, Hppants, and Blueridgerider loved this
Blueridgerider

Post by Blueridgerider »

wheatonFJR wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:07 pm
Blueridgerider wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:32 pm
Taking the big trip this summer. Red Lodge and beyond. I was 44 when I first bought an FJR. I will be 61 when traveling this summer. My mom died when she was 68. Get those trips in before the FJR gets too heavy for me on off camber roads.
What a great trip that will be! I know we all we be wanting to hear all about it when you get back. I truly hope I can make that trip sometime on the bike. I am almost 65 and I think about how many "Young Years" I have left to do the things I love like motorcycling. So many are hung up on wanting to live a long life and that's fine but I am not going to waste a single moment of these years when I can straddle the bike and make the most of life. I mentioned I make videos of my rides and trips. Well one reason is if I do live long enough where my riding days are behind me I can sit in my rocker, whisky in hand, and relive the fantastic times and trips. :D
Hppants loved this
2017 Kawasaki Z900
Blueridgerider

Post by Blueridgerider »

El Toro Joe wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:09 am
Blueridgerider wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:15 pm
:o Wait...did you not ask for someone to stop you? just trying to help a brother out ;)

I'll be riding this weekend.

...and I've got a great attitude, considering where I live
Thanks Joe I truly appreciate the nice response. I guess I jumped to the wrong conclusion. As we all know there are people out there just waiting for an opportunity to be a smart ass after posts like mine to say negative things. I think it is a sport in these forums for some for reasons I cant understand. Hey I was born in Cincy so was not so much picking on Ohio as much as responding to what I thought was a negative response. I have family in NYC and New England and know how an environment like that in the winter can make a person grumpy to say the least so envisioned the same thing from you when I read your response. I have read about some great riding up your way and would like to make it up there sometime. I enjoy photography and videography and of course motorcycling and like to share things with friends I ride with and thought some might enjoy seeing a few photos etc. especially during the lousier winter days. All great, ride safe! Thanks from one Joe to another.
El Toro Joe loved this
2017 Kawasaki Z900
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

Blueridgerider wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:24 pm ...Hey I was born in Cincy ...
Well, not sure if you've been there or not, but SE Ohio is awesome for riding...unless they've straightened out the curves and hills since I've been there. Joe is in charge these days of the SE Ohio Ramble in May...it's an awesome place...and the topography between here and there is not too bad either for riding. Give it a try! You have nothing to lose except your tire tread! (or other things as well if yer Mr Bill)
Blueridgerider and El Toro Joe loved this
El Toro Joe
Contributor
Veteran

Post by El Toro Joe »

wheatonFJR wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:31 pm
Well, not sure if you've been there or not, but SE Ohio is awesome for riding...unless they've straightened out the curves and hills since I've been there. Joe is in charge these days of the SE Ohio Ramble in May...it's an awesome place...and the topography between here and there is not too bad either for riding. Give it a try! You have nothing to lose except your tire tread! (or other things as well if yer Mr Bill)
I think he should definitely come up and ride with us in May...if I can ride down to Maggie Valley for EOM, he oughta be able to ride up to SEO for the Ramble.

...did I mention my FJR will be getting some attention this weekend.
ice_station_zebra, Blueridgerider, and wheatonFJR loved this
Blueridgerider

Post by Blueridgerider »

El Toro Joe wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:44 pm
wheatonFJR wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:31 pm
I think he should definitely come up and ride with us in May...if I can ride down to Maggie Valley for EOM, he oughta be able to ride up to SEO for the Ramble.

...did I mention my FJR will be getting some attention this weekend.
Sounds like a great time and riding! I really appreciate that you would consider including me. Can you give me more of whats involved? SEO? is it like the EOM? I attended that this past year. Just wondering if it is like a rally or just some good friends getting together. Either way it sounds great. Thanks.
El Toro Joe loved this
2017 Kawasaki Z900
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

Its just a gathering of folks who wanna ride. No points involved. You just find Joe or somebody else there, tag along and ride some beautiful country while riding the rollercoaster of elevation changes. Hint: sometimes there is a turn or sharp curve just as you crest the hill.
ice_station_zebra loved this